Beyond aggrivated... any ideas? 376 engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by George C....
Is the ect sensor plugged in?
Is the iat sensor pkugged in?

If either kne if these are unplugged it wil dump more fuel then you can adjust for
I installed a brand new ect from advance auto and a new iat sensor in my high ram intake right behind throttle body.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:31 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 374 Likes on 255 Posts

Well thats part of the issue then, you need to scale the injectors some, but that can be accounted for if the whole thing is tuned, but doesnt sound like it is.

Are you sure those sensors are actually reading? Looking at the scanner will tell you.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Atomic
Well thats part of the issue then, you need to scale the injectors some, but that can be accounted for if the whole thing is tuned, but doesnt sound like it is.

Are you sure those sensors are actually reading? Looking at the scanner will tell you.
Sensors are reading. We have the fan set to come on at 195 and it does as commanded per the ect. Iat reads and working correct aswell.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Machine shop removed and reinstalled the crank reluctor but was done with the correct tool. Cam is lined up dot to dot. Could the crank reluctor be off a touch and cause timing to be off? I guess what im asking is can it be so low that we arent burning the fuel but yet still crank and run. It will literaly cloud up my garage with gas smoke while idling and revs a bit slow. We havent tried throwing a bunch of timing at it to verify that now that i think of it....
Old 04-05-2016, 12:27 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 374 Likes on 255 Posts

The crank reluctor is symmetric, it just provides a speed signal so the computer knows how fast the engine is moving, the cam sensor tells the engine what side of the cycle its on. If the reluctor is loose or not installed correctly then its a problem, but if you have a good crank signal (can be verified with an osciliscope) then it shouldnt be an issue.

Perhaps the cam sensor is your issue.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Atomic
The crank reluctor is symmetric, it just provides a speed signal so the computer knows how fast the engine is moving, the cam sensor tells the engine what side of the cycle its on. If the reluctor is loose or not installed correctly then its a problem, but if you have a good crank signal (can be verified with an osciliscope) then it shouldnt be an issue.

Perhaps the cam sensor is your issue.
I installed a brand new GM LS2 timing cover which came with the sensor in it since im running the LS9 cam and 1x timing gear. Everything appears to be working per the scanner. Im at a loss here....
Old 04-05-2016, 12:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 551 Likes on 476 Posts

You may want to post the tune here while you're at it, someone might see something you guys aren't.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:02 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Post the tune.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FFDP
You may want to post the tune here while you're at it, someone might see something you guys aren't.
Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
Post the tune.
I will see about getting the tune posted on here. The tuning software is on a friends laptop.

Thanks for the ideas and stuff so far guys. Its much appreciated. Im sure this has to be a simple fix that we just havent found yet.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:26 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Unburnt fuel wont read rich on the wideband. There is likely unburnt fuel too if its that rich... but what you are describing is a very rich burn mixture.

so the LS9 cam is a 3 bolt cam?

Have you double checked the wiring on the cam sensor? Was it all done correctly when you extended it?

Quick Reply: Beyond aggrivated... any ideas? 376 engine