Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Best way to reduce piston slap?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 06:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

think i am going to switch to a better filter.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:01 PM
Staging Lane

i always use the fram filter and 5w30 mobile 1 and have had no issues so far
Old 02-01-2008, 11:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tootall
the hell with A/C delco filters, I've seen their filter material in the bottom of a 19K new motor !

I've always used the WIX filters, and never had any issues.
A year ago, when I tore down my 6.0 after blowing the head gaskets, the oil pump pick-up screen was covered with white lint material. I know that much lint didn't come from rags upon assembly. 100% of the screen was covered with a solid, dense layer. The only thing I could figure was it came from the delco filter i used when breaking in. I cut open the filter and the material looked loose and fuzzy compared to other filters i've opened up before. The engine had 2000 miles on it. I try to always use Wix, and yes the Napa and Carquest filters are Wix.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:56 AM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't the piston slap just caused from the use of Hypereutectic pistons? I have those in my blazer and it does the same thing.
my understanding of them has always been that they swell up when they get hot. so if you fit the piston just right for the cylinder it will end up being too tight once it gets warm. So you have to fit it a little small so that it ends up the right size at operating temperatures, which in turns causes slap at cooler temps.
If my knowledge of this is accurate then the only sure fire way to eliminate it is to go Forged.

it's not so much a gm problem as it is a physics problem. I'd imagine it's hard to calculate how much the pistons are going to expand considering the engines are going to be exposed to all types of weather conditions around the country. majority of the piston is aluminum. aluminum just expands more than steel at the ideal temperatures to operate an engine.

Last edited by viciousknid; 02-02-2008 at 05:03 AM.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by viciousknid
Isn't the piston slap just caused from the use of Hypereutectic pistons? I have those in my blazer and it does the same thing.
my understanding of them has always been that they swell up when they get hot. so if you fit the piston just right for the cylinder it will end up being too tight once it gets warm. So you have to fit it a little small so that it ends up the right size at operating temperatures, which in turns causes slap at cooler temps.
If my knowledge of this is accurate then the only sure fire way to eliminate it is to go Forged.

it's not so much a gm problem as it is a physics problem. I'd imagine it's hard to calculate how much the pistons are going to expand considering the engines are going to be exposed to all types of weather conditions around the country. majority of the piston is aluminum. aluminum just expands more than steel at the ideal temperatures to operate an engine.
Yes you are correct. To eliminate piston slap at start-up forged pistons are required. There are ways to minimize piston slap with the oil and filter you choose.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:21 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, Forget pistins will only be louder. It all has to do with heat and expansion. The high silicon content of the 4032 forget pistons allows for a tighter piston to bore clearance, but they will still be noisier than the factor mahle pistons. If you want a good turbo piston, the 2618 material would be your choice, but it has a much lower silicon content, which equalls a stronger piston that expands more, so they will be the loudest.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
No, Forget pistins will only be louder. It all has to do with heat and expansion. The high silicon content of the 4032 forget pistons allows for a tighter piston to bore clearance, but they will still be noisier than the factor mahle pistons. If you want a good turbo piston, the 2618 material would be your choice, but it has a much lower silicon content, which equalls a stronger piston that expands more, so they will be the loudest.
Interesting. I have always heard and read what viciouisknid was saying.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Forged pistons expand more than hypereutectic pistons do. Forged pistons need more cold clearance and will wobble more on startup making more noise.
It's the short skirts of Gen-III pistons that really aggravate this problem.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:36 PM
Baltimore Whore

Originally Posted by James B.
Forged pistons expand more than hypereutectic pistons do. Forged pistons need more cold clearance and will wobble more on startup making more noise.
It's the short skirts of Gen-III pistons that really aggravate this problem.

John
Old 02-02-2008, 04:57 PM
How do I change this text

Ya, I failed to mention the shorter skit issue as well. But bottom line, after market forged pistons, weather it be the 4032 metal or the 2618, will be louder.

Quick Reply: Best way to reduce piston slap?