Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Bedrug with no bed cover?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 03:52 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I was wanting one, they were in the 350-400 range from varies places. Why not get your truck line x again?? Just curious. Other then that bed-rug is the way to go, they def hold up well to the weather for sure..
Old 08-23-2010, 05:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran my Bedrug for 5 yrs w/o a tonneau. If u live where branches, twigs, berries, pods, Maple "helicopters" or any other parts of a tree stuff fall, a rug a can be a pain.

I found myself spendin time vacuum my Bedrug to get all the fallin tree parts outta the carpet. And when I washed my truck, I used to climb in back to wash the roof. Then, when it dried, I vacuumed where I stepped in bed to do roof, as minor dirt / debris was picked up by my boots. I was fanatical about keepin it clean of that stuff.

If ya ever need to transport mulch like I have, find someone else that has a hard plastic liner, or again, you'll be vacuuming the **** outta the rug to get all the mulch that embedded itself in the carpet. Or, u have to do like me & use your bro's or someone's to do that task. That isn't always convenient & can be an issue (like I'm havin now).

Dirt & debris can collect between underneath of rug & bed. I think if rug shifts around, I think very, very minor scratches ensue (but that may be fixed thru a few more velcro pcs.). I'm a fanatic on keepin my bed free of scratches, & I have a few minor ones under the rug. Myself, I think the collision shop put a few scratches there & lied to me they did it. But that's another story.

I also had issues w/. the attachment hook & loop (fancy name for HD velcro). After mine rug was removed for bed repair, the shop didn't do as I asked & let me know if they needed new hook & loop. So, they reused em & some didn't stick as well (but some a small bit of adhesive spray or new velcro can prolly remedy that. They also need a couple more attachment pcs. at the rear sides just inboard of the tails. I found myself havin to carry a 2x4 in back centered in bed to keep my rug in place w/. all those re-used non-stickin pieces. But they may not be an issue if u don't ever have bedside removed for repair.

And... if u carry heavy or sharp things in bed, a Bedrug doesn't protect as well as a plastic or spray in. And lastly, even tho it's marine grade carpet, w/o a cover, I think the sun (a bigger issue in TX due more extreme than here altho mine seems like it has) an issue slightly fades the gray color.

By now, they gotta be $350 + or - $50.

So, I tried to give u all my issues. For me, to use my truck as a mulch carrier, & some other lil tasks, & some of my "issues" I'm faced w/., it isn't the best choice. If I had to do again, I honestly think I prolly would've gone spray in liner. For u & others, it may just be a better choice for your neeeds.

Last edited by fastnblu; 08-23-2010 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:56 PM
Baltimore Whore

WOW Tom that was a history/story/bio of the bed rug.. Good one chap
Old 08-23-2010, 06:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sorry to ramble. I actually have some experience w/. a product & wanna help a fellow PT member, just as u & others have helped me. Did I actually say u John?

I just feel as a consumer, a company isn't gonna always tell u some of the true negatives.

And yes, the Bedrug is a nice product. It's fitted to your bed, & other than a few slits cut around tie-downs, & clean / attach velcro mount pts., it installs quickly & easily.

IDK bout u, but $350-400 is a lot of mine. In general, it is. But what it boils down to in the end, it's $350-400 to protect your bed using HD marine grade carpet w/. zippers & velcro custom fitted to your truck's bed.

Last edited by fastnblu; 08-23-2010 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the write up man. I have another truck to haul and tow as well as the burban, and the truck is garage kept.

350-400 ain't bad at all.'i really don't wannado more line-x cause it's heavy as hell.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Then, it's perfect for your needs. Actually, cost is actually lower than any spray-in that u have done. And no, I don't mean when someone does a DIY'er spray-in.

The biggest downside for me was not havin my lid on sooner. But when I was T-boned, it woulda shattered. Glad I couldn't afford my lid back when I wanted to get it (when I bought truck). I wanted a paint-matched lid, & a nice lid, so that was either a Snugtop or *******. But these buggers are heavy. And for when I've needed to haul a few things higher than my bedrail, well, I'm not drivin w/. it up & possibly hurtin the integrity of the lid.

If I had to that again, as much as I like the painted, they're lighter (but in textured black) options. Yes, I looked at em too. And I could take off myself, & go faster.

Oh ya, IDK how many gallons a spray-in uses, but if tryin to stay light, like I want, a Bedrug is lighter by far. And yes, that thought crossed my mine when I bought it. My guess is a gallon or 2. Anyone know or in the spray-in biz?

Funny u said that, cause I was gonna say that earlier.

Last edited by fastnblu; 08-23-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:05 PM
Baltimore Whore

Its all good Tom, I am just bustin ya ballz One thing I know is that you def give great info, most of the time, very thorough info..
Old 08-23-2010, 08:00 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Tom, you sure that you covered everything?
Old 08-23-2010, 08:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks, John. Billy, if had I a particular smilie, I'd use it.

This works.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:28 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Tom, too much time typing.......NOT ENOUGH TIME WRENCHING!!!!

jfwy!

Quick Reply: Bedrug with no bed cover?