Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

April GM Hi-Tech Performance K1500 Teaser Photo

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First thing that jumps out at me is the Autotrac = AWD and the statement "just like the SS truck". That wouldn't be my first choice in wording. I don't think even GM calls the autotrac an "AWD system", more of an "auto-4WD".
Big Tex,
Your right, the autotrac is actually marketed as an "active" transfer case, so comparing it directly to the SS's true AWD transfer case is misleading. In hindsight it would have been a good idea to go into detail about the differences.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

It took GMHTP how long to figure out Trucks can be just as cool as F-Bodies?
Jk

I have been a long subscriber and enjoyed the Article.
I'm looking forward to your upgrade to the Stainless Works headers, Last I knew They made a kit for the H2.

Nice job and enjoy the Truck, I really dig the wheels nice and simple.

Old 02-19-2005, 11:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by creederado
It took GMHTP how long to figure out Trucks can be just as cool as F-Bodies?
Jk

I have been a long subscriber and enjoyed the Article.
I'm looking forward to your upgrade to the Stainless Works headers, Last I knew They made a kit for the H2.

Nice job and enjoy the Truck, I really dig the wheels nice and simple.

If I haven't made it obvious, I am a big fan of the trucks and especially the LS1Tech way of building them. You guys have some seriously cool rides.
Thanks for the compliments, insights, and corrections. I will continue to drop in here on a somewhat regular basis and sure appreciate the warm welcome.

For you long time subscribers, we sure appreciate it and I can assure you GMHTP is comitted to more truck covereage.

Regarding the Stainlessworks headers, I was lucky enough to get the first production set and have been enjoying the hell out of them for the last couple of months and was pleased with the dyno results. You will have to pick up next months GMHTP to see what kind of numbers they were worth on a stock tune.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:27 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the article, you were using HPT for tuning. Did you put the tune back to stock for dyno testing the headers?

Thanks for getting more trucks into the mag.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Hey I'm a bit confused.

The first article about your truck. It is not out yet correct...the April issue?
Old 02-19-2005, 11:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SportSide 5.3
Hey I'm a bit confused.

The first article about your truck. It is not out yet correct...the April issue?
First article should be in subscribers mailboxes by now, next up the stainlessworks header/catback article.

The only change in my program is shift points, torque management, and top speed limiter, none of which should have effected the dyno results on the upcoming header/catback artiicle as we ran in 3rd gear from about 3600 to redlline. I have not used HPTuners to do any tuning......yet
Having said that, I haven't changed the VCM since I made the above changes, so the dyno results should be consistent between runs. The only caveat to the whole thing is that the owner of Woodbridge Dynotech fell ill and I had to run on a similiar setup dynojet at HPWorks in Colonial Beach, VA . So, catback was at one shop and headers at another, but I plan to check the numbers back at Woodbrige as soon as John is healthy again and I will be sure to pulblish the results.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:12 AM
Teching In

Ladies & Gentlepeople,

I'm new to this board, own an '84 Turbo Buick, an '02 Chevy 4x4 ECSB 2500 HD w/6.0 V8 and am a subscriber to GMHTP. I joined LS1Tech because someone in another Chevy truck website mentioned it. So far, I'm impressed with the site and the folks who contribute. I also like to go fast - no matter what I'm driving.

I'm glad to hear that GMHTP plans to feature more GM truck articles. I'm also glad they occasionally include articles on turbo Buicks. (Buick articles aren't as prevalent as some people seem to think - I know because I'm on the look-out for them)

As far as Parish's truck is concerned, I saw the article in Hot Rod (I subcribe to that mag as well) and wanted to do something similar with my truck. I contacted the company that helped him develop the kit. They were eager to help me too - until I asked if their kit had a CARB exemption. They dropped me like a hot potato. (I live in Portland, OR. where the smog police rule)

I bring this up because many of us have to drive our cars, trucks, etc. in the real world. In other words, we've got to conform to DEQ rules. It's much easier and more fun if that blower/turbo kit has a CARB exemption.

So John of GMHTP, my two cents worth is; Please consider emissions laws in a build-up of ANY GM engine - be it car or truck. I realize it's tougher and more expensive for the vendors initially but I think everybody benefits down the road. CARB certification isn't sexy but unfortunately, it's a fact of life if you want to drive your ride on public roads.

Okay, I'll crawl back under my rock now...

Nick
Old 02-20-2005, 07:19 AM
Staging Lane

Nick,
You bring up an important point regarding smog. The Stainlessworks headers I cover in the next issue do not have a CARB E.O but they are they are full length 1.75" primary and retain a pair of Random Tech Cats in approximately the same location as stock, which should get you through most states inspection except CA.
I also need to get this truck past the smog ****'s and will mod accordingly.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:04 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnUlaszek
Nick,
You bring up an important point regarding smog. The Stainlessworks headers I cover in the next issue do not have a CARB E.O but they are they are full length 1.75" primary and retain a pair of Random Tech Cats in approximately the same location as stock, which should get you through most states inspection except CA.
I also need to get this truck past the smog ****'s and will mod accordingly.
I saw David Vizard as the author of the 6.0/Radix article in the March issue, can I expect further detail on this article on the web as well? Since I just sent for my subscription last Thurs should I buy the april issue off the news-stand or will I get it a little later?

thanks
Old 02-20-2005, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im gona go buy it .

Quick Reply: April GM Hi-Tech Performance K1500 Teaser Photo