PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-800-older-gm-general-discussion-130/)
-   -   aftermarket valve cover help (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-800-older-gm-general-discussion-130/aftermarket-valve-cover-help-518772/)

bitterfitter 06-10-2013 07:54 PM

aftermarket valve cover help

My 2006 sierra with a L33 engine suffers from bad valve covers which are letting the PCV suck up a ton of oil. I want to switch out the valve covers and I was thinking of going with some after market ones. My question is this: I have yet to find a set of after market covers that have the PCV tappings in them.... What do I do with these valve covers? Are people just not running a PCV valve anymore? That's not right... So what am I to do?:sigh:

Slammed96 06-11-2013 07:13 AM

There should be a PCV valve in the rear of your drivers side valve cover you could replace. That or alot of people running the aftermarket covers have switched over to catch can setups in leu of the PCV.

03sierraslt 06-11-2013 07:56 AM

I believe your 2006 is a fixed oraface instead of a PCV valve as is mine. Going to aftermarket valve covers will not fix it, get a catch can instead.

bitterfitter 06-11-2013 04:24 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I have put on a catch can but I have to drain the oil every week. I get a good 1/2 quart every Sunday when I drain it. If I forget, then I get the smokey oil cloud at start up on Monday at work.

Mine is the fixed orfice type. I think I have been reading that it is a problem with the baffles or the return holes in the baffles are plugged. I could just replace the valve covers with new GM ones but I was hoping on using a cooler set of after market ones. There in lyes the problem... none of them seem to have the connections for a PCV valve or any venting for that matter. I was wondering how others are using these valve covers?

bitterfitter 06-16-2013 08:50 PM

Any ideas?? Anyone??:confused:

1994Vmax 06-19-2013 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by bitterfitter (Post 5113258)
Thanks for the help guys. I have put on a catch can but I have to drain the oil every week. I get a good 1/2 quart every Sunday when I drain it. If I forget, then I get the smokey oil cloud at start up on Monday at work.

Mine is the fixed orfice type. I think I have been reading that it is a problem with the baffles or the return holes in the baffles are plugged. I could just replace the valve covers with new GM ones but I was hoping on using a cooler set of after market ones. There in lyes the problem... none of them seem to have the connections for a PCV valve or any venting for that matter. I was wondering how others are using these valve covers?

Take off the drivers side valve cover and clean it. GM did release an updated one which you could get but I wouldn't doubt your 06 already has it factory. Aftermarket ones without connections are just a pita. Unless you want to relocate the coil packs you honestly don't see them anyway.

bitterfitter 07-01-2013 06:00 AM

I replaced the drivers side valve cover yesterday. I did not notice anything out of the ordinary under the old valve cover when I took it off. The valve train was clean and no sludge or gunk at all. I could not tell by looking if the oil drains in the baffle are plugged or not. I am going to run this new valve cover and let you guys know if I stop blowing oil from the PCV setup. Hopefully the catch can stays empty!

Quyonmob 07-01-2013 08:44 PM

Worked for me on my 07c. Warranty covered it. Found the TSB on a Camaro forum IIRC.

bitterfitter 07-04-2013 06:58 AM

catch can still empty

It has been five days since I changed the valve cover and the catch can is dry!! Looks like the old valve cover baffle was letting oil by for some reason. I will post if I notice a change or find out why.

Quyonmob 07-04-2013 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by bitterfitter (Post 5120910)
It has been five days since I changed the valve cover and the catch can is dry!! Looks like the old valve cover baffle was letting oil by for some reason. I will post if I notice a change or find out why.

Gunkysludgy crap stops the oil from draining back, so the only place for it to go is up the PCV into the intake.

I'm like 30k miles since I changed mine without a puff of smoke.