Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

aftermarket valve cover help

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 07:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket valve cover help

My 2006 sierra with a L33 engine suffers from bad valve covers which are letting the PCV suck up a ton of oil. I want to switch out the valve covers and I was thinking of going with some after market ones. My question is this: I have yet to find a set of after market covers that have the PCV tappings in them.... What do I do with these valve covers? Are people just not running a PCV valve anymore? That's not right... So what am I to do?
Old 06-11-2013, 07:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There should be a PCV valve in the rear of your drivers side valve cover you could replace. That or alot of people running the aftermarket covers have switched over to catch can setups in leu of the PCV.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:56 AM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

I believe your 2006 is a fixed oraface instead of a PCV valve as is mine. Going to aftermarket valve covers will not fix it, get a catch can instead.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:24 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the help guys. I have put on a catch can but I have to drain the oil every week. I get a good 1/2 quart every Sunday when I drain it. If I forget, then I get the smokey oil cloud at start up on Monday at work.

Mine is the fixed orfice type. I think I have been reading that it is a problem with the baffles or the return holes in the baffles are plugged. I could just replace the valve covers with new GM ones but I was hoping on using a cooler set of after market ones. There in lyes the problem... none of them seem to have the connections for a PCV valve or any venting for that matter. I was wondering how others are using these valve covers?
Old 06-16-2013, 08:50 PM
Teching In

Any ideas?? Anyone??
Old 06-19-2013, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by bitterfitter
Thanks for the help guys. I have put on a catch can but I have to drain the oil every week. I get a good 1/2 quart every Sunday when I drain it. If I forget, then I get the smokey oil cloud at start up on Monday at work.

Mine is the fixed orfice type. I think I have been reading that it is a problem with the baffles or the return holes in the baffles are plugged. I could just replace the valve covers with new GM ones but I was hoping on using a cooler set of after market ones. There in lyes the problem... none of them seem to have the connections for a PCV valve or any venting for that matter. I was wondering how others are using these valve covers?
Take off the drivers side valve cover and clean it. GM did release an updated one which you could get but I wouldn't doubt your 06 already has it factory. Aftermarket ones without connections are just a pita. Unless you want to relocate the coil packs you honestly don't see them anyway.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:00 AM
Teching In

I replaced the drivers side valve cover yesterday. I did not notice anything out of the ordinary under the old valve cover when I took it off. The valve train was clean and no sludge or gunk at all. I could not tell by looking if the oil drains in the baffle are plugged or not. I am going to run this new valve cover and let you guys know if I stop blowing oil from the PCV setup. Hopefully the catch can stays empty!

Last edited by bitterfitter; 07-04-2013 at 06:59 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:44 PM
Teching In

Worked for me on my 07c. Warranty covered it. Found the TSB on a Camaro forum IIRC.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:58 AM
Teching In

Default catch can still empty

It has been five days since I changed the valve cover and the catch can is dry!! Looks like the old valve cover baffle was letting oil by for some reason. I will post if I notice a change or find out why.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bitterfitter
It has been five days since I changed the valve cover and the catch can is dry!! Looks like the old valve cover baffle was letting oil by for some reason. I will post if I notice a change or find out why.
Gunkysludgy crap stops the oil from draining back, so the only place for it to go is up the PCV into the intake.

I'm like 30k miles since I changed mine without a puff of smoke.

Quick Reply: aftermarket valve cover help