PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-800-older-gm-general-discussion-130/)
-   -   4 wheel disk + ABS = accident waiting to happen (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-800-older-gm-general-discussion-130/4-wheel-disk-abs-%3D-accident-waiting-happen-432590/)

THE-HOE 01-13-2009 09:20 PM

I took the ABS fuse out of my tahoe after the ABS did that crap and i wrecked. I probably havnt had it in in atliest 3 years now. Everything works perfect except the ABS. I can actually stop faster in snow and rain that my friends tahoe with ABS because sometimes sliding makes you stop faster. ABS is not really designed to make you stop shorter, its designed to make you stop without ever losing control. Without ABS if you do try to stop fast in rain your truck will probably kick out sideways, but some of us like that.:D

JakeBrakeIH 01-13-2009 09:44 PM

mine did it and i got a recall in the mail saying that the abs sensor in the front would get a light layer of rust causing the sensor to become out of calibration...had the dealer clean in under warranty and not a problem, until about 2-3 years later...lol i just ignored it and it caught up to me! i pulled into my girlfriends house and the ABS turned on and POW! right into the back of her dads nissan titan...my truck didnt have a scratch but his needed a new bed side and bumper:(

so after that i took the sensor out and cleaned it while i did the front brakes and now the abs light is on...i dont know if you have to recalibrate it but it doesnt bother me...i love it w/o abs...much easier to drive in the snow thats for sure! id say take out the fuse or try to clean those sensors...worth a shot...

BTW it would only really do it at low speeds and going over bumps like you mentioned...

BlackGMC 01-13-2009 09:48 PM

Mine used to do that when my shocks started getting wore out, with the new shocks, when I stop while going over bumps it does not do it anymore.

00ChevyScott 01-13-2009 09:50 PM

Where is the ABS sensor at so I can try cleaning it

JakeBrakeIH 01-13-2009 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott (Post 4100657)

if you pop the tire off, its on the wheel hub, facing towards the cab...ya cant miss it seeing its the only thing with wires goin to it...just be super careful with it...i think when i pulled mine out i might have just hit it a little too hard or somethin and thats why the light is on...

budhayes3 01-13-2009 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott (Post 4100657)

There's one for each front wheel, going into the knuckles. Follow the wiring harness down from the frame by the shock tower and you'll see where the speed sensors attach. It should help with the pre-mature ABS activation tremendously...although ABS still sucks IMO.

southern_chevy 01-13-2009 10:01 PM

shit mine will do it in a smooth road if you have to stop kinda fast it will do it nearly every time and that is not even getting on the brakes real hard so I know they should not lock up but the ABS still kicks in.

454navyss 01-14-2009 03:45 AM

i have never had a problem with my abs. i avoid most bumps and potholes i see and dont normally do over the speed limit though (most of the time about 5 under)

Fireman31 01-14-2009 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by southern_chevy (Post 4100671)
shit mine will do it in a smooth road if you have to stop kinda fast it will do it nearly every time and that is not even getting on the brakes real hard so I know they should not lock up but the ABS still kicks in.

As stated before, corroded or faulty wheel speed sensors can cause false ABS activations, in any conditions.....

The purpose of ABS is to help you maintain control of your vehicle during emergency maneuvers and panic stops.

AKlowriderZ71 01-19-2009 01:49 AM

Something else that can effect unwanted ABS activation is mis-matching tire circumference. GM says that anything 1/4 inch or more difference in rolling circumference can cause it. Would also cause AWD or Auto4WD t-case clutch problems.