Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

20x8.5-inch chrome rims

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 10:23 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, I have looked thru this thread a bit and can see you have not had the wheels checked at a shop for slow leaks. This is the first thing you need to do. Discount Tire will check them for free. (At least here in MI. they do)
Have them checked as I will bet the problem is rim corrosion between the tire and the wheel lip. They will dismount the tires, clean the wheels and remount. Leaks fixed for a very minimal charge, if any... Head to Discount, they will take care of you.
Mark
The following users liked this post:
Sierra2K5B4V (10-26-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 01:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

I actually had a tire shop grind off the flaky chrome where the tire meets the rim on the inside an it worked, I was filling my tire like every few days. visually it did not affect the wheel
The following users liked this post:
Sierra2K5B4V (10-26-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 10:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
P49 is the rim companies code. QR9 is the factory RPO code. It can be found on the Service tag inside the glove box.
Here is mine shown below.
Just so you know Tire pressure will fluctuate as the weather changes and also as the surface temp of the tire changes.
The tire PSI at 75 degrees ambient temperature measured with the tire cold will be higher than the same cold tire reading with a 55 degree Ambient temperature. 2-4 PSI may not be out of line. More than that though Could be. Ideally you would want to check in similar conditions to obtain accurate information.
Thanks for reminding me about the service parts labeling, but honestly I don't know how it translates - it reminds me of COMSEC during my training in the Army. Thanks
Old 10-26-2018, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

Default Thank You

Originally Posted by astroracer
Okay, I have looked thru this thread a bit and can see you have not had the wheels checked at a shop for slow leaks. This is the first thing you need to do. Discount Tire will check them for free. (At least here in MI. they do)
Have them checked as I will bet the problem is rim corrosion between the tire and the wheel lip. They will dismount the tires, clean the wheels and remount. Leaks fixed for a very minimal charge, if any... Head to Discount, they will take care of you.
Mark
Thank you, I was going to scout for a decent shop that would provide the service you mentioned about Discount Tire; the closest DT is two counties west of me ~ 50 to 60 miles.
Old 10-26-2018, 07:21 PM
Staging Lane

I visited a local Express Oil & Tire Engineers shop that set up shop in late 2015 or early 2016; they removed my wheel and tire commenced assessing for the cause of the leak. According to the Service Manager where the wheel meets the valve stem, the port hole for the stem was a bit corroding from the years of wear and tear: they cleaned it and applied a patch/sealant for $27.56! I shouldn't have to worry about losing anymore air from my tire. Cheaper to repair a pickup truck wheel/tire assembly than installing tire liners for two wheels on my bicycle! Yippee, I might get a handful of years with these wheels. Thanks for your feedback and recommendations..