Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

2003 Burb C2500 Need More POWWA

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Gears will surely help. Getting a tune will also help. You don't have to go to a shop, you can do a mail order tune with someone like atomic performance

One thing worth looking into is the radiator and the fan clutch. Has it ever been replaced that you know of in the 150K?

If not, you might find the cooling stack is slightly plugged up. The diesel guys run into this alot. All the road debris builds up and the cooling stack loses its efficiency. Same with the fan clutch, Over time it wears down and becomes less efficient. They often find out when it's too late and overheat on long heavy hauls.

You may want to consider doing all the cooling Items.
Would cleaning the radiator and switching to e-fans be the way to go?
Old 07-05-2019, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by arthursc2
6k at 35mph should be 1st gear
I did some testing on the highway today. At 80 mph 3300-3400 rpm Tire diameter 31.5 in 3rd gear 1:1
I did notice when i started the truck it made some horrible noise, like i have a pully thats stuck and almost immediately unsticks. More to come.

Last edited by Prinler; 07-05-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-05-2019, 02:43 AM

Check and make sure your cats aren't clogged

make sure the air filter is clean

make sure the MAF is clean

tune is best done by a shop or a person with lots of experience. May have to shop around or find a mail order place. I would avoid blackbear for mail order tuning

as for the climb, I've been up Raton Pass, which is 6-7% for a majority of it, and needed 3rd, but the speed limit is 55 through there, so 2nd might have been better. I was pulling ~3300lbs at the time. I have a full bolt on and cam'd 5.3. She puts to the wheels what a tune only LQ9 does, so essentially I have the same power you do: maybe 40-50lbs less torque tho. You have an LQ4, but just work with me on the bench racing lol

I have 4.10s with 33" tires. I actually want more gear and eventually would like to step up to 35", but different discussion for a different day

give your ol girl a look over, make sure she can breathe ok. Get a scanner so you can keep an eye on real time temps and it may be time to look at cats and o2 replacements depending on how she's been driven. Driven harder generally means the cats are cleaner. I don't know how you can inspect them without dropping the Y pipe, and if you're doing that, may as well just replace them. I am not a fan of aftermarket cats at all. I'd look for OE replacements, maybe on a factory Y pipe. I don't know where you should look for those. Brand name exhaust companies will offer stuff, but may not be the same quality as OE
How does one check a cat for clogs? The truck is so responsive with out the TT. Its such a blast to drive.
Air Filter is clean
MAF did throw a code while i was pulling the hill. I have a BT OBD2 attached and was able to read about it. P0101
Ill check it out and clean it tomorrow
Old 07-05-2019, 06:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Prinler
I did some testing on the highway today. At 80 mph 3300-3400 rpm Tire diameter 31.5
I did notice when i started the truck it made some horrible noise, like i have a pully thats stuck and almost immediately unsticks. More to come.
80-mph at 3300-3400 rpms is not OD that is one to one in 3rd gear.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,438 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Check the fuel pump, might be dying. I found out my first pump was **** because my truck threw a MAF code
Old 07-05-2019, 11:31 AM
TECH Veteran

For a strictly tow rig, the mech fan is fine. If you do e fans, get the fans from the towing package trucks. I believe 7 and 9 blade, vs 5 and 7.

mech fan is good tho, even the diesel guys stick with theirs when hauling
Old 07-06-2019, 02:30 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Its a good idea to pull it back and check between the radiator and condenser. Also inspect the radiator for signs of leakage and make sure the fins are not damaged or plugged from dirt and debris that may interrupt air flow through the core.

These New style radiators constructed of plastic and aluminum become brittle over time. The plastic end tanks will become brittle from the thermal cycles and can crack and leak. Some time where they are crimped will also start to seep coolant. Maintaining the coolant will help prolong its life.

The mechanical fan is more effective at pulling air during low speed esspecially while towing.
Old 07-06-2019, 11:09 PM

Ok, well I will sure take your advice and leave the fans alone. When i get the front end tore off to install my new trans cooler im going to clean the radiator.
Ill be ordering the Airaid 200-912 M.I.T. Modular Intake Tube to help with air flow and cleaning the MAF with some spray.

Is a hand held tuner my next step to maximize my power/torque? Not sure boost is in my future. I wouldnt mind learning how to install a cam into my truck as long as i can do it IN the truck in my garage or drive way.
Old 07-07-2019, 12:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Trucks are the easiest to cam, you literally need a 10mm and a 13mm, plus some special tools to pull the crank pulley off and on.

rad will have to come out, but you're draining coolant to remove the water pump anyway

I would get a custom tune, and forego the handhelds
Old 07-08-2019, 10:46 AM

Trucks are the easiest to cam, you literally need a 10mm and a 13mm, plus some special tools to pull the crank pulley off and on.

rad will have to come out, but you're draining coolant to remove the water pump anyway

I would get a custom tune, and forego the handhelds
Do cams mess with the smogability of my truck in California? Been watching the videos about it, with the cam swap they recommend changing valve springs, push rods, timing stuff.. Sounds complicated to someone who has never tore down a motor.

I do not mind pulling my radiator, i need to also fix a leak where the oil cooler meet. Gonna need to drain the oil and coolant for that anyway.

I am going to assume I should replace all of the front engine parts with Chevy/Ac Delco? Water pump? tentioners?

Quick Reply: 2003 Burb C2500 Need More POWWA