Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

1/2 ton diesels...What happend?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 05:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im getting 11-12 in my 08 3500 singlr rear wheel . it is lifted on 37's but the best i could do stock was 14 mpg driving like a puss.

i wont take off my dpf . i need warranty on this one since its for 100k . i need reliability and needto be worry free if chp pulls me over and has a "look"
Old 06-07-2010, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fastnblu
6.7? Is that what the 5.9 Cummins became?

IDK the various GM diesel codes, I've seem LMM, but unsure of other. The Duramax is a beast tho. I saw how much power it's estimated GM will have em kickin out for new model. It's crazy.

I never knew a diesel was cleaner. How's that even possible? Most of the big trucks I see & smell em. Are u referrring to the newer bio-diesels w/. ash-cans?
Yes the 6.7 is the new cummins that replaced the 5.9

Yes diesels burn cleaner than gas trucks. The EPA uses exhaust emissions to test vehicles. However they don't test to see how much pollution per mile the vehicle releases. They just check to see what is being released. EPA is just political and uses misguided information to make their policies/testing
Old 06-07-2010, 06:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chase, what is DPF?

Jeteys, these cleaner than gas diesels, you're referring to the new ones, right? Or give me a yr. that this kinda started, if that's easier. Not arguing, just seekin info. Are u referring to low sulphur or bio-diesels?
I thought the EPA does test pollution per mile? It's that lil bar graph on a new car or truck sticker. It says this vehicle burns "said amt. of this...(X)" How does it relate to other vehicles? "Y" or whatever letter u wanna use. Or is that just a generic hydrocarbons used per mile type of thing?
Old 06-07-2010, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lightbulb Here ya go

Chase, what is DPF?

Jeteys, these cleaner than gas diesels, you're referring to the new ones, right? Or give me a yr. that this kinda started, if that's easier. Not arguing, just seekin info. Are u referring to low sulphur or bio-diesels?
I thought the EPA does test pollution per mile? It's that lil bar graph on a new car or truck sticker. It says this vehicle burns "said amt. of this...(X)" How does it relate to other vehicles? "Y" or whatever letter u wanna use. Or is that just a generic hydrocarbons used per mile type of thing?
The big deal that the EPA and other government agencies are concerned with are Particulate Matter and NOX. The Diesel Particulate Filter traps the soot particles and at specified intervals processes the filter through a "regeneration" cycle that injects EXTRA fuel into the exhaust tract that is lit off to burn at 1,100 degrees F. That essentially "cleans" the filter, but also uses extra fuel to do so, robbing fuel mileage, not to mention the restriction in the exhaust robbing fuel mileage. The Urea injection deals with catalysing the NOX present in diesel emissions.

Now, the interesting part here would be to calculate the amount of emissions not allowed to escape into the environment due to EPA/CARB/........ agencies efforts relative to the amount of energy/fuel/money those agencies consume in total. Then compare the two, and see how far, er, whatever, we have come.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for ForcedTQ. So, that's what I call the ash can. They're not terribly cheap if, ah, accidentially smashed. So, I've heard.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:05 PM
Teching In

I work for a major fire truck manufacturer. We've been dealing with DPF's since the '07 emissions regulations. Now with 2010 we use DPF's and SCR's. This technology has been in use in Europe for a while. Detroit and Cummins are the only manufacturers we are working with now that CAT stopped producing over the road engines. I receive a number of automotive journals from SAE and others. This is where I read about the light duty diesels being killed off by certification. Watch, over the next decade as the rest of the world gets kick *** engines, while we are stuck with old retreads of current technology. Even the Europeans will have trouble getting engines/drivetrains into our market.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

When i was in St. Lucia, i saw a little crew cab Isuzu that looked like a colorado that had a DMAX emblem on it...
Old 06-07-2010, 09:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

SCR's?

Wonder who? You work for...ya, I know who. I think the way a fire truck exhaust sounds when accelerating is awesome!
How big is that exh. at exit?
Old 06-07-2010, 09:16 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Here you go, i wonder how fun this would be...
http://www.isuzu-crosswind.com/globa...20LS%204x4.pdf

http://www.isuzu-dmax.com/
Old 06-07-2010, 09:39 PM
Teching In

SCR's?

Wonder who? You work for...ya, I know who. I think the way a fire truck exhaust sounds when accelerating is awesome!
How big is that exh. at exit?
SCR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H81fsI-I6kA

Pierce Manufacturing

www.piercemfg.com

The exhaust is actually only 5" to 6" the diffusers are much larger. The diffuser is required to keep the exhaust temps at the tailpipe cool enough to not incinerate anyone walking by during a regen.

Quick Reply: 1/2 ton diesels...What happend?