Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

03-06 cluster in a 99-02 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2022, 10:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,175 Likes on 895 Posts

Why would you get a Denali or an Esky cluster to play around with... Get a stock one first lol
Old 07-29-2022, 02:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 236 Likes on 183 Posts

Yeah, figure it out on one that's easy to get, instead of risking screwing it up on one you have to wait a year or more to get. I get out to PnP often, I'll keep an eye out if you figure this out. Personally I'd rather have a PPV one.

Last time PnP got an 02 Escalade (a couple months ago), I was there two weeks in a row, and they got the Escalade. The engine and the cluster were already pulled. Pick n Pull has a second pull yard, where they sell newer than 2006 and they have a third "parts warehouse" where they sell parts at market price (mine is around the corner). They do pull some stuff for themselves before it gets out to the yard. Pick N pull gets all sorts of cars, and they only let people into the junkiest yard to pull from the oldest cheapest vehicles. They do have better stuff that you don't get at cheap prices.

Did I read you are in South Texas? If you go to the San Antonio yard; If you are coming from 410, then instead of turning left on Applewhite, turn right, with that first immediate left, and go straight until the yellow building. (It's behind the back of PnP across the highway). That is where they keep the 2006 + (might get an 06 or 07 NBS cluster that gets overlooked). Their parts warehouse (that you don't get to go in, is next door).

It's also a $1 to get in the 06+ yard, and they have a website, I want to say facebook. I talked to em, and they do things differently. Pick n pull gets new cars every day, but the 2006+ yard waits until they get about 30 vehicles before they bring the equipment and they load em in the yard all at once. You can get notifications, (I just don't remember which site they use). I think that's your best chance at getting a Escalade cluster (and possibly NNBS stuff like seats if interested).

You might get lucky, but if this is what you are waiting on, you might be waiting a while. Personally, go do a 03-07, and use it until you find the escalade cluster. Depending on the route to do this, you could sell that (because there is already a demand for this).
Old 07-29-2022, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

other than the plastics it doesn't really matter what the cluster came from. They can all be programmed with the same firmware for the proper year range. Try to avoid 06-07 clusters unless you have an 06/07 truck.

You can always take a truck cluster and put the dorman kit on it to make it an esky.
Old 07-29-2022, 03:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If I'm gonna do this kinda custom cluster swap, then I want it with the factory trans temp gauge. I know it can be added but I don't wanna have to do all that too. That's why I said Escalade or Denali. And lol, I've played around with my cluster plenty enough to feel confident starting on one of these. I feel the Force flowing through me...
Old 07-29-2022, 03:16 PM
TECH Junkie

That's not what I mean.
What I mean is that dick around with one that is not an expensive one like an escalade or denali cluster first. When you figure out completely how to get everything to work then go buy the Esky and Denali ones. From what I know it is only the voltage and the oil pressure that is the difficult stuff. Trans temp should not be an issue I don't think.

Also 2500 trucks have a trans temp as well.
Old 07-29-2022, 03:21 PM

the circuit boards are all the same. literally doesn't matter.
Old 07-29-2022, 03:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Denali clusters are expensive
stockers are not
you break a denali cluster you broke an expensive one.
you break a stocker meh
Old 07-29-2022, 03:36 PM

maybe so, but the boards are all the same. It's just the plastics and gauge faces that make them specific if they are fully populated with trans temp or not.

a normal truck can have the stepper added for trans temp, its very easy. My cluster was normal SUV one, without trans temp- now it has it. I need to grab a pic of it. Just did a simple build on it.
Old 07-30-2022, 06:35 PM
TECH Resident

I drive a manual, I like that 03-04 Escalade style, but would want the trans temp taken off. Not sure if there's something else, but a trans temp would do nothing for me.

After having all sorts of ongoing fun with the needles; having stepper motors that can be reset would be great. Even better is that I wouldn't need to because the needles are already white.
Old 08-18-2022, 09:08 PM
TECH Resident

Got out to the yard today. Pulled a bunch of those better lamp sockets. My P&P has a nice section of older 90s/00 GM section. Did a quick walk through and found a cluster that was almost out. The older fat curved caprices that were the same as the impala SS bodies. Was the same 4 screws holding in the cluster that we have on ours. I pulled 12 sockets out of it, there were another 5 or 6 green ones (that are the same as the ones we have originally), and there were at least 6 or 7 socket spaces empty. That cluster had to have 20+ full size bulbs in it. Checked em, and they all work. I was only going to pull 6, but now I have an extra set. I just went and trashed the original sockets I spent all that time on. Hope this helps someone else.

Hope it doesn't matter if we can get this newer style cluster figured out.

Quick Reply: 03-06 cluster in a 99-02 Silverado