Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Work to be done on a dropout LQ9

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 07:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Work to be done on a dropout LQ9

I'm looking around for a LQ9 for a swap in my 92 K1500. The most common ones I can find seem to be complete dropouts (accessories, harness, ecm, all the little goodies that make it run) from 02-06 escalades with about 100k-160k miles on them.
I'd like to have this engine run as long as possible, and given that I've never swapped any engine before, I've got but a small idea of what to look for when I finally decide on one. When I do, if it's within that 100k-160k mileage range, what, if anything, should I expect to do to it before thinking about putting it in anything? I figure there's a lot that factors into that since everybody maintains or beats on their engine differently, so I'm not looking for anything crazy detailed, but just an idea of what to clean up, what to consider replacing while it's on a stand, things to look at or mess with before it moves to the truck.
I should mention that I'd like to make about 400hp on it as a NA setup, which I don't think will be a huge challenge, throw in a mild cam and maybe some different heads to up compression), but I also don't want to destroy it before I get a chance to modify it by overlooking something stupid.
Thanks!
~Ken
Old 10-01-2018, 06:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Oil pump, with new correct pickup tube O-ring and the "extra" bolt & clamp such as from Saccitycorvette
Work the heads; new valve guide seals - you could change to 243/799 to up the compression, or have the 317s that come on it milled
New cam, lifters, valve springs, rocker arm trunnion bushings

Frankly I don't think it needs any more compression but that's just opinion. Gets hard finding fuel if you get too carried away in that dept.

For a cam, look here. LS TRUCK CAMSHAFT something about in the range of the "street torker" or the "trucker". It'll need a torque converter; something good quality, in the 3000ish range. LS7 lifters, new push rods in the correct length chosen by measuring AFTER the rest of the motor is built.