Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

What's up with this TB resistor mod?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 03:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb What's up with this TB resistor mod?

OK, y'all have seen those rip off * hp coolant bypass mod kits on ebay and the one I'm talking about is the SUPER DUPER AMAZING 20 HP TB resistor/chip mod. All this entails is a certain ohm resistor spliced into the wiring somewhere on our trucks. ANyone know where to splice and what ohm resistor? This sounds like B/S, but probably isn't if it's done correctly. When I had my 99 POwer Stroke on Ford Diesel.com we had a mod just like this that tricked the computer into thinking the oil pressure (i think, it's been a few years) was low, so it boosted up something another and in turn added more fuel and really gave the motors a SOTP noticeable boost in power. SOme guys even confirmed the rwhp/tq gains on a dyno and it did adds ome hp. Exact #s I can't recall. Just like everything else, some people did it wrong or wired it into something else and f'ed something up, or didn't gain jack **** so there were some non-beleivers. ALso you could play with the ohms of the resistor and "tune" for the best power. I still have several different ohm'ed resistors in my toolbox, a 10ohm worked best for most, while folks running more boost or propane ran 7.5 ohms. ANyway, if anybody knows about this for our LS1s..give us some insight. I'll try this out and let everyone know. BTW, we called it "Poor Boy's Chip" over on Forddiesel.com because it didn't cost **** and gave such good gains for nothing!!!
Old 01-23-2004, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all the mod does is trick the Air Intake Temperature sensor into thinking it's seening cooler air than it really is, it will then increase spark advance because of the "cooler" air...this mod can lead to increased KR and actually LOWER power output due to the increased KR...sure, it wourks for some but not everyone

This is probably one to skip doing
Old 01-23-2004, 05:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the info Yelo. That's what I was thinking it was abot, but was unsure. Yeah, might be alright if you're a dead stocker, but not for us with modded trucks!! You could grenade the hell out of something!

Hey, you switched sig pics!!
Old 03-12-2004, 12:48 AM
Staging Lane

i put one on my truck at one point and all the damn thing did was turn the SES light on and make it stutter. Put it on my buddies truck and it didn't do that, but didn't do anything else either.