Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what are things to ask when buying a used TC?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what are things to ask when buying a used TC?

im thinking about finding a cheap tc for sale and i dont really know what to ask the person i am buying from? is there anything that i should ask? thanks
Old 10-12-2004, 04:16 PM
TECH Addict

Ask how many miles are on it. Id ask if nitrous or FI was used. How many 1/4 passes are on it. Id also want to know whether a tranny cooler was used.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

Ask what STR it is. What it was in. If its a Vig does it have a free stall still.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TheLadiesMan
im thinking about finding a cheap tc for sale and i dont really know what to ask the person i am buying from? is there anything that i should ask? thanks
What's going on TheLadiesMan? Haven't seen you post in a while. Don't know if you've seen, but the truck is in the shop getting the 6.0L put in. To answer your question, what the other guys said. Just know the miles, power going to it, what size vehicle it was pushing, etc. Good to see you on again.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MacADaYear
Ask what STR it is. What it was in. If its a Vig does it have a free stall still.
whats STR and VIGS.

less then 5,000 miles on it, it was used with a supercharger. and probably 35in or bigger tires.

Slowprocess: glad to hear about the 6.0l hows that job working out for you? yeah i have't been on to much this summer, i bought a honda 250r and trucks sorta lost my interest . but now i'm back i figured i had to do somthing i was thinking about selling the truck . now winter is coming no more 4 wheeling for me so i guess i will start the truck again. that and my friends are starting to catch up to me. thats sad 15.7 and im still the fast truck in my group of friends. i just really need to start driving it more, i bought a beater that really isn't a beater, and i drive that regulary. the sierra just sits parked in the garage with blankets covering it.

that and i got to still race my buddies 4 door 2wd hemi!!!
Old 10-12-2004, 05:03 PM
TECH Addict

whats STR and VIGS.
STR is a rating like say 2.5. I dont know a whole lot bout verters but I was told that numer is how many times the verter multiplies the power (or something to that effect)

Vig is a company that makes verters. Most companies you will see around were will be Yank, PI, Vig, and maybe Midwest.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:03 PM
TECH Addict

VIG is a precision industries vigilante converter. STR is how much the converter multiplies your torque off the line or something like that.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

i edited the last post!!!
Old 10-12-2004, 05:41 PM
Launching!

Take a look at what it came out of (vehcial type, HP and gearing) and if there was a aux tranny cooler used and why are they selling it? (Hopefully not because it is burned up) How old and how many miles too.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by snoman
Take a look at what it came out of (vehcial type, HP and gearing) and if there was a aux tranny cooler used and why are they selling it? (Hopefully not because it is burned up) How old and how many miles too.
Is there an echo in here?

Quick Reply: what are things to ask when buying a used TC?