Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What synthetic oil for DD 383 LS1 Stroker?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 11:49 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What synthetic oil for DD 383 LS1 Stroker?

Mods are in sig. I've put 1000 miles and two oil changes on it so far. Been using the Rotella T 15W-40 for the break-in. Getting dyno-tuned on friday and wanna switch to synthetic before I go. I'll probably use Mobil 1. Should I go with a thinner oil or stick with the 15W-40?

Also, when changing over to synthetic, do I just do a regular oil change and leave it for a few thousand. Or do you fill it and let it run for a while and then change it again to get all the dino oil out? Thanks
Old 01-25-2007, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Hemi Killer
Mods are in sig. I've put 1000 miles and two oil changes on it so far. Been using the Rotella T 15W-40 for the break-in. Getting dyno-tuned on friday and wanna switch to synthetic before I go. I'll probably use Mobil 1. Should I go with a thinner oil or stick with the 15W-40?

Also, when changing over to synthetic, do I just do a regular oil change and leave it for a few thousand. Or do you fill it and let it run for a while and then change it again to get all the dino oil out? Thanks
Diesel Engine Oil? Why?

Where do you live (climate)? How did your machinest put the motor together? Loose, target, or tight side of the (bearing) specs? I use Mobil1 10W30 on a stock motor... but I live in Arizona. Probably anything colder than my climate I would recommend 5W30... assembled to factory clearance tolerances of course. I would not recommend anything higher than that unless you are trying to improve an existing oil low pressure condition based on loose motor assembly.

Bill
Old 01-25-2007, 12:44 AM
Truck Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always use Mobil1 or Amsoil 10W-30
Old 01-25-2007, 01:00 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Bill Reid
Diesel Engine Oil? Why?

Where do you live (climate)? How did your machinest put the motor together? Loose, target, or tight side of the (bearing) specs? I use Mobil1 10W30 on a stock motor... but I live in Arizona. Probably anything colder than my climate I would recommend 5W30... assembled to factory clearance tolerances of course. I would not recommend anything higher than that unless you are trying to improve an existing oil low pressure condition based on loose motor assembly.

Bill
I was told by a number of people to use the Rotella T for about a 1000 miles just for the break-in. It's supposed to contain stuff that helps the rings sit.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:01 AM
14 Second Truck Club

I thought strokers required a thicker oil?
Old 01-25-2007, 06:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

I like Royal Purple. What were your main/rod bearing clearances?
Old 01-25-2007, 09:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I was told by a number of people to use the Rotella T for about a 1000 miles just for the break-in. It's supposed to contain stuff that helps the rings sit.
ive heard this before by alot of people

once i get my truck back im going to amsoil 10w/30
Old 01-25-2007, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I thought strokers required a thicker oil?
Whoever told you that was a moron. Bearing clearance, bore clearance, etc don't change just because the engine's a stroker. The only thing I've EVER used 15W-40 or 20W 40 for is a worn out old 305 with really bad rings and anything thinner would burn because of the bad rings.

Tight bearing clearances require the larger range oils, like 5-30, 0w30/etc. With the thicker oil in a NEW or remachined engine is just tearing it up quicker... which I could guess would seat the bearings/rings in faster due to the increased wear. But I'd never do it...

I've always assembled with a straight 30 weight NON-DETERGENT oil (detergent oils attract dirt, it's their job). Run for 20-30 minutes at varying idle speeds, drain, then fill with what ever oil I'm going to run forever... usually Amsoil 5-30. Today's technology rings/etc require very, very little break in compared to the olden days and their brittle little rings.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:03 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Your stroker will burn more oil than an conventional engine because of the ring placement. Because of the increase stroke the rings must be slid up to the top of the piston. I have not switched to synthetic yet because I want to get an Idea what my oil consumption will be whith dyno oil then see what happens when I switch to synthetic. I would use a 30 weight of some sort if it were me.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:33 PM
14 Second Truck Club

I just bought some Royal Purple 10W-30. Thanks for the info guys!

Quick Reply: What synthetic oil for DD 383 LS1 Stroker?