Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What NOT to do to a electric TB...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 08:27 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was very suprised with the results. I know I didn't create a leak when the blade is closed. But when I researched the issue AFTER I ported the TB, I figured out the TB doesn't close all the way at idle. So by removing that airflow restriction, it allows more air to pass at idle. Without the ability to tune it, I would be up a creek.

I don't think that BBK or any other aftermarket vendor makes a replacement TB for the 03+ trucks. They do have one for the C5s, but it requires swapping over the motor and controls from their stock TB. The trucks TB isn't the same design as the C5, so you cant remove the controls.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigTex
In LS1 edit:

You need to lower your RESET IAC PARK position from 310 down to about 200.
On the IAC park position, lower the values by 10-15%.
On the Idle Air table (running airflow), 10-15% lower values.
Then Airflow decay in Gear table, lower the values by say 10%.
I'm going to be the biggest train-wreck when I get Edit.

This stuff is 'so' far over my head. And I've been in the IT/computer industry for the last 9 years.

Some days I really wish we had carbs. Quarter turn here, eighth turn there. DONE.

Anyway, back on subject...........
Old 01-26-2004, 09:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Whew!!!

Damn glad I read this thread, I was walking outside to do mine and decided to check the boards first!!! What's the verdict? Should we with DBW TB's leave them the hell alone unless we have edit or a custom tune? I have James at Running w/the Devil working on a tune for me and need to get him this information ASAP!

Thanks and sorry you had to find this out for the rest of us, the hard way, marc. ON the bright side, you have a damn good excuse for a MOD!!
Old 01-26-2004, 10:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marc_w
I'm going to be the biggest train-wreck when I get Edit.

This stuff is 'so' far over my head. And I've been in the IT/computer industry for the last 9 years.

Some days I really wish we had carbs. Quarter turn here, eighth turn there. DONE.

Anyway, back on subject...........
I am right there with you. Also been in IT for 9 years, also thankful I have atleast one carb car to tune (makes me feel competent). I am shying away form edit and going with a Nelsen tune because I dont want to deal with the mess I know I am certain to create.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:31 PM
Teching In

BigTex, Tbyrne list a BBK TB for 03+ trucks under induction on his site. Unfortunately, I just found out the part won't be released for a few weeks, and my truck is down. By the way, how much does LS1 edit cost? Thanks!
Old 01-26-2004, 01:00 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

www.carputing.com

Price was $550 when I bought it 2 years ago, but it may be higher now.

One other option is a custom mail order tune, but I can guarantee that it won't have idle correct the first time.

Your best bet is to see how much blownchevy wants for his 03 TB. But, if you plan on LS1 edit in the future, it may be best to go ahead and get it.

One other thought: The TB has that 3/8" side air hole. I wonder if you can either plug it up, or wedge something in there that has a smaller diameter inner circle. That may compensate for the added airflow in the TB.

Mine never went into reduced power mode. If you have autotap or something else, clear the computer codes and see what it does again. I did have mine go into reduced power mode once before because I didn't have the TB connector firmly attached.
Old 01-26-2004, 05:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

That's the *****! I ported my 03 etb a couple of months ago with success. I removed the edge on the lip as you guys have been doing, and was very careful not to remove too much as I got closer to the seal, knowing that this would increase airflow too greatly at certain throttle angles. When I first put it on, I forgot to plug in the harness to the tb, (doh) and the engine started up and idled at around 2 grand with the reduced engine power warning. I was like oh great, just what I need. I looked under the hood, plugged it back in, reset the power, and started it up and luckily it ran great. The idle still hovered at about 525rpm. I'll see if I can dig up some pictures of the ported tb, before I went back and modified it some more.
Old 01-26-2004, 05:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

03 SCREAMER!! THATS some dang good news..whew, I was bummin because I have all the stuff to P&P mine and after following this post I COMPLETELY backed out, I guess precision is the key here. PLus a custom tune coming from Predator with that in mind won't hurt!
Old 01-26-2004, 10:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, like they say; measure twice and cut once, so don't get too carried away with your grinding equipment. Once you've remove material you can't put it back on... easily. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I did the same to mine as 03Screamer. I just got rid of the sharp angles on the tongue, but had a feeling it was there for a reason. I just smoothed the throttle body up on the tongue, but did not eliminate it. It has like 45degree angles on it from factory, I made it like a ramp for a wheelchair, like on the curb of the street, and I tell you, my throttle response feels much better, and I had no problem with it. That is funny, I also forgot to plug the wire back in, and my truck did the same thing. I just used the Predator to reset the code!

Quick Reply: What NOT to do to a electric TB...