Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Vinci cam for Radix

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 07:25 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Naked AV
If you require torque off the line for towing and off-roading I would get the 210/218. No reason to go bigger unless you want a race truck. There is a trade off for that upper-RPM performance, and that is your low-end.....you can't have it all.

Your worries about losing high-end are unwarranted. With my little 205/212 I've got plenty of power beyond 6000 RPM's. Think about it - the stock cam has power up to 6K, and it's only a 190/191.
I don't know a whole lot about cams, so any worries that I have are probably unwarranted, I just want to make sure that I am not going to be worse off either for towing or for racing than I am stock. I guess the low-end torque is what I need, and it sounds like it will perform better up top than the stock cam does too. If that's true, then I'm gonna go ahead and order. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-16-2005, 07:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After a while towing and racing become mutually exclusive pursuits. You can have both, but only up to a certain point size-wise on cams.

You will not lose high end going from the stock cam to anything bigger in duration. That would be impossible. That said, you're pushing the limits with that 210/218 as it is, not wanting to lose low-end torque. You certainly don't want to go any larger.

I was in the same predicament as you and decided on my cam after discussion with the experts at Cam Motion. If you want to be absolutely positive you lose zero low-end, I would go with the cam in my sig, or the Lingenfelter GT2-3. If you're pretty sure you'll step up to a 2600 stall later, you'll be okay with the 210/218.

Good luck.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:42 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Naked AV
After a while towing and racing become mutually exclusive pursuits. You can have both, but only up to a certain point size-wise on cams.

You will not lose high end going from the stock cam to anything bigger in duration. That would be impossible. That said, you're pushing the limits with that 210/218 as it is, not wanting to lose low-end torque. You certainly don't want to go any larger.

I was in the same predicament as you and decided on my cam after discussion with the experts at Cam Motion. If you want to be absolutely positive you lose zero low-end, I would go with the cam in my sig, or the Lingenfelter GT2-3. If you're pretty sure you'll step up to a 2600 stall later, you'll be okay with the 210/218.

Good luck.

Unfortunately I can only afford one truck, and it has to tow, and I want to be fast, so I want the best that I can get of both worlds without giving up a lot of one or the other. I realize this limits my possibilities and how far I can go with it either direction, but I want a comfortable balance that will do well in either setting. I probably will step up to the larger stall (as long as it's ok for towing ), so I think the 210/218 is probably gonna be the way to go.