Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VaraRam King Cobra induction (ram air version)

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VaraRam King Cobra induction (ram air version)

We have some more info on the new VaraRam induction. This version will be a true ram air system -

Full King Cobra Power

The best advantage of a true ram air system lies in the power and torque that can be produced under the power curve. The truck and SUV engines normally drop 1 to 2 psi in the manifold during shift recovery and general acceleration. This is where the King Cobra really strikes! In this area you can see another 10-18 hp and 12-20 ft.lbs. of Torque on top of the cold air system itself!

This airbox features a specialized multiple venturi system that enables the box to maintain an industry leading 100%+ efficiency. The unit brings in cold outside air through the 1st venturi system, at this point the air velocity is increased while turbulence is also reduced, this unit then recovers pressure at the air filter maximizing total air pressure or dynamic pressure at the filter. Manipulating the air this way aids in reducing unwanted air turbulence that would normally lead to losses in overall efficiency. The system features a specialized plenum bolume behind the filter that has an angle specific tulip shaped rear velocity stack to accelerate the airflow through the factory tube in a controlled manner, helping to improving off idle throttle response and torque while reducing unwanted air turbulence through the Mass airflow meter. The filter we use is a triple layer Baja filter that features a peel away “wrap” load up zone for heavy debris and dust. We then use two different main filter medias to enhance overall air filtration. This filter will flow over 1000CFM.

The induction without the ram air is -

Pricing for the King Cobra induction should start around $249.99. The full ram air version may be in the mid $300. range. I should have firm pricing soon.

Tom

Order line - 1-877-4-TBYRNE
E-mail - tbyrne@tbyrne.com

Price Match Plus policy
Old 06-02-2004, 12:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Did I read this right in that it doesn't replace the intake tube?
Old 06-02-2004, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

how does it have a true ram air effect - sitting behind the headlight ?
Old 06-02-2004, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

Sure sounds like they've done their homework. The reasons they mention about turbulence and what-not is why I scrapped my home-made ram-air setup.

It's interesting how it looks like the ram air piece seals to the interior of the hood... with that big piece of plastic hanging down to "scoop" air up there. I wonder if we'll need to trim away the fiberglass blanket under there... and if dark colored trucks sitting in the hot sun will see larger IAT's, similar to how the f-bod cars have a heat-soak problem while stationary with some of the cold-air hoods.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:32 PM
TECH Addict

If it dosent replace the intake tube and seems like so much is based on pressure, how would it affect the intake if you had say a K&N inake tube or some custom 4" tubing?
Would that decrease the efficency of the "ram-air"

I think it looks great and the price seems nice too

Also, considereing the differnt hood styles what years will be offered?
Old 06-02-2004, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, what year's will be offered? Hopefully 99-02 also....
Old 06-02-2004, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds very promising. Who is going to be the guinea pig and be the frist one to try it out. Too bad Jim does not have his Silverado or he would would have jumped right at it.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Tbyrne, hurry up and order one to put in stock. That way you could take some pics of the real kit for us to see.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'll try it out ... wanna send me one for a loaner???
Old 06-02-2004, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

We need real pics and more info, PPPPLLLEEEEAAASSSEEE.

Quick Reply: VaraRam King Cobra induction (ram air version)