Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

twin srew or radix....

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 09:08 PM
PSM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by moregrip
True, I can, and do get wordy, however, as an engineer, I would think this appealing to you as well.

And sadly I don't mind it at all . I'm not a fan of the saying Keep It Simple Stupid.

The radix looks perfect for me considering I'm not going to be going all out here. Oh and I will be saying weeeee... from either the charger or the kick in the *** when my girlfriend finds out I spent that much money on my truck yet I won't buy her a ring. They just don't understand how much these trucks mean to us
Old 04-05-2005, 09:13 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by PSM
And sadly I don't mind it at all . I'm not a fan of the saying Keep It Simple Stupid.

The radix looks perfect for me considering I'm not going to be going all out here. Oh and I will be saying weeeee... from either the charger or the kick in the *** when my girlfriend finds out I spent that much money on my truck yet I won't buy her a ring. They just don't understand how much these trucks mean to us

Awesome! I hope I helped you in some small way, take care and get'r done
Old 04-05-2005, 09:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PSM
You always havea way of posting very well written pieces that are hard to argue with. And I do agree with you 100%, the lysolm twin screw by itself is far better than the moddified roots. Still you currently cannot beat the package deal of the radix.

Maybe this is the engineer in me, but what if you made/had machined an adapter plate for the whipple blower to fit on the intercooler manifold that came with the radix... It would probably be very expensive, and complex, but it would be unique
I believe moregrip did some research and found not only components, but component prices for a manifold, intercooler, etc. to mount a Whipple onto the manifold for LS1-based motors, all from Starr Performance in Australia. You may want to do a search to find out more.

You may also want to contact Ryan, James B., etc. individually via PM to get their input and experience on the Whipple. I know they've got some.

Regarding your original question, the off-idle boost will be very similar between the two blowers, I don't think you'd notice much of a difference.

And as far as plug-and-play, you can't beat the Radix. If that's a concern, you really only have one choice.

Good luck with your decision....let us know how it goes.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:33 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Naked AV
Good luck with your decision....let us know how it goes.

Looks like he has
Old 04-05-2005, 11:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PSM slowly but surely would describe it. Raylar sent me every thing to get my short block done while I was waiting on the heads. My machine shop guy knew that I didn't have the heads so he did nothing until I walked in and told him that the heads showed up. I think the short block should be done this weekend.

Grippy I know how the difference blower work. I'm into the tech side of what make thing work. I don't just sniff nitrous I study all power-adders. I've already read all the info you posted up. But I still say you can't compress whats not their. The by-pass in the Whipple will keep most of the air from going though the compressor. But ether way I'm not too impressed with the screw blowers at low boost. I've seen a test of both on the same engine. Both made good boost off idle and made the same power at the same psi until they maxed the roots out.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:53 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by TieRod
PSM slowly but surely would describe it. Raylar sent me every thing to get my short block done while I was waiting on the heads. My machine shop guy knew that I didn't have the heads so he did nothing until I walked in and told him that the heads showed up. I think the short block should be done this weekend.

Grippy I know how the difference blower work. I'm into the tech side of what make thing work. I don't just sniff nitrous I study all power-adders. I've already read all the info you posted up. But I still say you can't compress whats not their. The by-pass in the Whipple will keep most of the air from going though the compressor. But ether way I'm not too impressed with the screw blowers at low boost. I've seen a test of both on the same engine. Both made good boost off idle and made the same power at the same psi until they maxed the roots out.
thats good info on the boost you saw, thanks . Now add to that observation the dependibility of the roots over the screw, and it is more dependable , you then have an obvious advantage at equal boost levels to the modified roots. Of course we all know the screw can boost higher, however, that is not the theme of this story.
Let me add this, most humbly of course, how does an engine run with no air?
In that vain I agree, if the engine is not running, the rotors will not compress a thing

peace out
Old 04-06-2005, 12:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny, I've never heard of a Whipple failure, or a Kenne Bell failure. Where is this reliability/dependability data coming from?
Old 04-06-2005, 12:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, we would need a electricly clutched lysholm 3.3L and a electricly clutched mp112.

Mp112 from 0-3000rpm
Lysholm from 3000-6000rpm.

As many have said here, If I could have my cake and eat it too, it would be an intercooled 3.3L whipple/lysholm on a 6.0L block with a 4.8L crank and some nice 9:1 pistons with some custom Lunati rods.

But if I were to just have my cake it would be a RADIX system, no other way around it.

My dad has a B&M 177 roots style blower on a 454. The blower is very small for the application and makes tons of heat trying to feed that engine, but man o man. It was an absolute hoot to be 3 years old sitting on the trans tunnel, watching the boost gauge swing up to about 3 psi. Dad on the left and Grandpa on the right.

Doing donuts in a '55 chevy two door wagon, with three generations going to get a pizza.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:23 AM
what a rush!

Funny, I've never heard of a Whipple failure, or a Kenne Bell failure. Where is this reliability/dependability data coming from?

funny how you don't hear everything
Old 04-06-2005, 01:00 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sources inside

Quick Reply: twin srew or radix....