Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

TSB for 2003 GMC/Chevy auto trannsmission trucks

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 07:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TSB for 2003 GMC/Chevy auto trannsmission trucks

Well acorrding to the NHTSA (www.nhtsa.dot.gov) and Alldata (www.alldata.com) there are TSB's mentioning the transmission shutter. The following is taken from the

NHTSA: Service Bulletin Num : 020730030 Date of Bulletin: AUG 01, 2002
Component: POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
Summary:
SOME CUSTOMERS MAY COMMENT THAT THE TRANSMISSION SLIPS, A SHUDDER, CHUGGLE, OR VIBRATION IS FELT WHEN THE TRANSMISSION SHIFTS FROM FIRST TO SECOND GEAR. *TT

Make : GMC Model : SIERRA Year : 2003
Service Bulletin Num : 020417001A Date of Bulletin: JUL 01, 2002
Component: POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
Summary:
CONCERNS WITH LAUNCH SHUDDER / VIBRATION ON ACCELERATION. *TT

__________________________________________________ __________

If anyone has or is going to take their trucks to the dealer to address this problem it would be GREAT if you could post what the dealer says and does to solve this issue!

I may go within the next week but it would be cool if someone has gone already! Let us know if so!
Old 06-10-2003, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: TSB for 2003 GMC/Chevy auto trannsmission trucks

Tell me how much you love me first. :p

Launch Shudder/Vibration on Acceleration (Replace Propeller Shaft and InstallNew Pinion Flange/Seal) #02-04-17-001A - (07/19/2002)
Launch Shudder/Vibration on Acceleration (Replace Propeller Shaft and Install New Pinion Flange/Seal)
1999-2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2WD 1500 Series Extended Cab Short Box Pickups

1999-2003 GMC Sierra 2WD 1500 Series Extended Cab Short Box Pickups

With 4L60-E Automatic Transmission (RPO M30)

Except QUADRASTEER™ (RPO NYS) Equipped Vehicles

This bulletin is being revised to add Model information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-04-17-001 (Section 04 -- Driveline Axle).

Important
Implementation of this Service Bulletin by "GM of Canada" dealers requires prior District Service Manager approval.

Condition
Some customers may comment on a vibration when accelerating from a stop. This is also known as launch shudder. This condition may occur between 0-40 km/h (0-25 mph) and be more noticeable when the vehicle is carrying cargo or used for towing.

Correction
A new propeller shaft, P/N 15071486, has been developed to correct this condition. The new propeller shaft incorporates dual double cardan joints on the center and rear joint positions. Refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 02-00-90-002 for lubrication information.

The new propeller shaft will require the installation of a new pinion flange kit, P/N 15071485. The pinion flange kit consists of the following components:

A pinion flange
Hex bolts (four)
A pinion seal
A rear axle drive pinion nut
Replace the propeller shaft with the new propeller shaft using the following procedure. Use the part numbers listed below.

Remove the propeller shaft assembly and the center bearing. Refer to the applicable Propeller Shaft Replacement procedure in the Propeller Shaft sub-section of the Service Information (SI).

Important
In step 2, you must measure the pinion and differential preload. This information is needed to set the preload of the new pinion flange to the correct specification and to reduce any rear axle noise concerns.

Remove the drive pinion yoke and the pinion oil seal. Refer to the Drive Pinion Flange/Yoke and/or Oil Seal Replacement procedure in the Rear Drive Axle sub-section of the Service Information (SI).

Important
In step 3, use this procedure as a guideline to install the pinion flange to the drive pinion and to set up the proper pinion bearing preload.

Install the new pinion oil seal, the new pinion flange and the new drive pinion nut. Refer to the Drive Pinion Flange/Yoke and/or Oil Seal Replacement procedure in the Rear Drive Axle sub-section of the Service Information (SI).
Install the new propeller shaft assembly and the new center bearing. Refer to the applicable Propeller Shaft Replacement procedure in the Propeller Shaft sub-section of the Service Information (SI). Tighten
Tighten the propeller shaft flange bolts to 70 N·m (52 lb ft).
Tighten the center bearing support nuts to 40 N·m (30 lb ft).
After completing the repair, operate the vehicle in order to verify that the condition has been corrected.
Parts Information
Part Number
Description
Qty

Shaft Asm-Frt & Rr Prop

Flange Asm Service Kit-Rr Prop Shf

Flange Asm, Pinion

Bolt, Rr Prop Shf

Seal, Pinion

Nut, Rr Drv Axle Pinion

*Parts are included in Flange Kit P/N 15071485.

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

F2043
Flange, Pinion Shaft - Replace
1.5 hrs

Add
To replace two-piece prop shaft
0.2 hr

Old 06-11-2003, 12:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Well I dont know about loving you, but I must say THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Damn now I have to get my truck over to the dealership to have them perform all that work! I wonder how long they are going to keep my truck!

Anyway thanks again for providing all of the SUPER helpful info! I am sure it will come in handy to just about EVERYONE on this board, or at least those with stock tranny's/warrantys.

Old 06-11-2003, 03:57 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

If you can probley leave it at the dealership overnight or a few days, that TSB doesn't pay crap, also needs DSM approval (typical GM), and parts may not be in stock. i'm always nicer to peoples concerns when they leave their car and i'm not rushed to get it out the door.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:11 AM
TECH Regular

Does this apply to 4x4 (Z71) models as well? Reading that article, it only mentioned 2wd. I think I may have that shutter, but I've got a Z71. Maybe what I have is a different problem. Anybody know???
Old 08-17-2004, 06:25 PM
Teching In

Thumbs down Launch/shudder

Originally Posted by jlwz71
Tell me how much you love me first. :p

Launch Shudder/Vibration on Acceleration (Replace Propeller Shaft and InstallNew Pinion Flange/Seal) #02-04-17-001A - (07/19/2002)
Launch Shudder/Vibration on Acceleration (Replace Propeller Shaft and Install New Pinion Flange/Seal)
1999-2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2WD 1500 Series Extended Cab Short Box Pickups

1999-2003 GMC Sierra 2WD 1500 Series Extended Cab Short Box Pickups

With 4L60-E Automatic Transmission (RPO M30)

Except QUADRASTEER™ (RPO NYS) Equipped Vehicles

This bulletin is being revised to add Model information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-04-17-001 (Section 04 -- Driveline Axle).

Important
Implementation of this Service Bulletin by "GM of Canada" dealers requires prior District Service Manager approval.

Condition
Some customers may comment on a vibration when accelerating from a stop. This is also known as launch shudder. This condition may occur between 0-40 km/h (0-25 mph) and be more noticeable when the vehicle is carrying cargo or used for towing.

Correction
A new propeller shaft, P/N 15071486, has been developed to correct this condition. The new propeller shaft incorporates dual double cardan joints on the center and rear joint positions. Refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 02-00-90-002 for lubrication information.

The new propeller shaft will require the installation of a new pinion flange kit, P/N 15071485. The pinion flange kit consists of the following components:

A pinion flange
Hex bolts (four)
A pinion seal
A rear axle drive pinion nut
Replace the propeller shaft with the new propeller shaft using the following procedure. Use the part numbers listed below.

Remove the propeller shaft assembly and the center bearing. Refer to the applicable Propeller Shaft Replacement procedure in the Propeller Shaft sub-section of the Service Information (SI).

Important
In step 2, you must measure the pinion and differential preload. This information is needed to set the preload of the new pinion flange to the correct specification and to reduce any rear axle noise concerns.

Remove the drive pinion yoke and the pinion oil seal. Refer to the Drive Pinion Flange/Yoke and/or Oil Seal Replacement procedure in the Rear Drive Axle sub-section of the Service Information (SI).

Important
In step 3, use this procedure as a guideline to install the pinion flange to the drive pinion and to set up the proper pinion bearing preload.

Install the new pinion oil seal, the new pinion flange and the new drive pinion nut. Refer to the Drive Pinion Flange/Yoke and/or Oil Seal Replacement procedure in the Rear Drive Axle sub-section of the Service Information (SI).
Install the new propeller shaft assembly and the new center bearing. Refer to the applicable Propeller Shaft Replacement procedure in the Propeller Shaft sub-section of the Service Information (SI). Tighten
Tighten the propeller shaft flange bolts to 70 N·m (52 lb ft).
Tighten the center bearing support nuts to 40 N·m (30 lb ft).
After completing the repair, operate the vehicle in order to verify that the condition has been corrected.
Parts Information
Part Number
Description
Qty

Shaft Asm-Frt & Rr Prop

Flange Asm Service Kit-Rr Prop Shf

Flange Asm, Pinion

Bolt, Rr Prop Shf

Seal, Pinion

Nut, Rr Drv Axle Pinion

*Parts are included in Flange Kit P/N 15071485.

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

F2043
Flange, Pinion Shaft - Replace
1.5 hrs

Add
To replace two-piece prop shaft
0.2 hr
I have the same problem with my 2000 GMC truck. 150,000 km 80.000 mi.
GMC has quoted me a $ 3,000.00 to fix as per the above.
I guess that says alot for GMC trucks.
They dont stand behind their poor designs.

I will be looking at a Dodge or Ford for my next purchase in the new year 2005

Is it possible to take this problem to drive line shop?
Old 08-18-2004, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Excellent info
I have had this since new
I have 6700 miles and swore it was this.....
I went so far to contact Denny's and have him build me a shaft
Old 08-18-2004, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah I don't have the shudder so bad but sometimes the truck get's stuck in 1st going to second and won't let it shift until the rpm come down. Could this might be the probelm, also my truck has been surging sometimes at low rpm when I try to pull in the garage like the tranmission isn't doing something right like the engine rpm are the same but the auotcraptic likes to do it. could this also be the problem. thanks also I have 6100 miles on the truck
Old 08-18-2004, 03:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cstchevy
yeah I don't have the shudder so bad but sometimes the truck get's stuck in 1st going to second and won't let it shift until the rpm come down. Could this might be the probelm, also my truck has been surging sometimes at low rpm when I try to pull in the garage like the tranmission isn't doing something right like the engine rpm are the same but the auotcraptic likes to do it. could this also be the problem. thanks also I have 6100 miles on the truck
i heard there was a bulletin about this problem as well.......something with the accumulator or something......sorry i don't have more info onthat.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:44 PM
12 Second Truck Club

[QUOTE=Craig Small]I have the same problem with my 2000 GMC truck. 150,000 km 80.000 mi.
GMC has quoted me a $ 3,000.00 to fix as per the above.
I guess that says alot for GMC trucks.
They dont stand behind their poor designs.

I will be looking at a Dodge or Ford for my next purchase in the new year 2005

QUOTE]

Have you ever owned a Ford and tried to get dealer service?? It ain't any better than GM from what I have seen. Maybe you should look into a Toyota! :p

Quick Reply: TSB for 2003 GMC/Chevy auto trannsmission trucks