Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

truck wont start with new tune

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default truck wont start with new tune

OK, I just got a new tune in the mail today an I installed it but the truck wont start now. I have never had a updated Tune cause my truck not to start.
So my question is, What do I have to do to my truck to make it run?
I dont know much about the whole relearn system.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

go to the website where you got it if it's a nelson he has a section that tells you exactly what to do.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by cstchevy
go to the website where you got it if it's a nelson he has a section that tells you exactly what to do.
Here's what I do. Disconnect negative battery cable, install PCM. attach negative cable back to battery. Crank the truck, it will idle for 1 sec and die. Then, remove the negative terminal and positive terminal, then after you disconnect them re-attach them with positive first then negative. Your truck will crank right up.
A little trick I learned from fiddling!
Philip S.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:35 PM
Launching!

I just got my computer and it did the same thing. I just got in it and kept it running and drove it around for a while. After that it idled and ran fine.

Kevin Lucas

www.gracemotorsports.com
Old 09-30-2004, 01:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vehicle Anti Theft System (VATS) procedure most likely needs to be gone through. Like mentioned above, Allen Nelson has a site explaining how to do this. Or try the search button on this forum for vats. I know we recently had a strange problem with a Radix tune that the pcm didn't get tuned correctly and wouldn't fir the engine. This was after trying the vats relearn procedure several times.
Allen sent out another pcm with a change in something and the new pcm worked fine. Good luck
Old 09-30-2004, 05:42 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

ATTENTION: Your vehicle may not start unless this procedure is performed.

GM introduced an anti-theft system in 1996 and newer vehicles.

In order for your vehicle to start, you must perform the passkey relearn procedure.

If your vehicle’s battery is low, it is recommended a battery charger be hooked up at this time.

This Procedure will take approximately 20-30 minutes.

After your PCM is installed, please perform the following.

You may want to be outside your vehicle so shut the door, roll down the window.

PROCEDURE:

Insert key, attempt to start the vehicle and leave the key in the ON position.
In some vehicles, the Battery and Security light will blink for several seconds, and then shut off. Then the Security light will then remain ON. Leave the ignition ON until the Security light goes OFF. This will take more than 5 mins.

When the Security light goes OFF, turn the ignition to the OFF position.
Leave ignition OFF for 20 Seconds.

Attempt to start the vehicle again and leave the key in the ON position.
In some vehicles, the Battery and Security light will blink for several seconds, and then shut off. Then the Security light will then remain ON. Leave the ignition ON until the Security light goes OFF. This will take more than 5 mins.

Turn the ignition to the OFF position for 20 Seconds.
Attempt to start the vehicle again and leave the key in the ON position.

Once this entire procedure has been completed (three times) your vehicle will start on the fourth attempt.

Note: Some vehicles perform the relearn in a different sequence. You may notice your security light, battery light and abs light will alternate. Once the security light is left out of the sequence that is considered one step. Repeat the procedure two more times and on the fourth time your vehicle will start.

FAQs:

- The procedure was just completed now my car is making a clicking noise when I attempt to start it.

Your battery may have become too weak to crank the engine over.

- I performed the procedure and my vehicle still doesn’t start

Please repeat the procedure again.