Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Truck Won't Run..... EGR Problems?????????

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2002, 06:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck Won't Run..... EGR Problems?????????

Does it hurt to remove the EGR????? Our 97 Tahoe has been having "EGR PROBLEMS" (quoted by a local mechanic shop) and they claim the engine will not run w/out it.... and it has been missing/going dead horribly! It does this often and you can pull out on the highway and press the gay and it will almost die or you can floor it and it only goes to about 3000 RPM at WOT. Does this sound correct or am I having different problems??
The fuel pump on the truck makes a loud whining noise(going to replace it soon) but could that have something to do with it???

Why is an LS1 any different(if it doesn't hurt to remove the egr on an ls1) why should it matter on a Vortec motor????
Can I take the EGR off of the truck too???

Josh S.
Old 04-22-2002, 07:58 PM
TECH Addict

Default Re: Truck Won't Run..... EGR Problems?????????

i don't know about the older engine. i know my 2002 4.8L doesn't have the EGR at all. just a metal plate where the EGR previously was. i'm by no means a tech genius or anything but from what i understand the engines didn't change much from 2001 to 2002 and my buddy has the EGR in his 2001. i figure if mine runs fine w/out it then there really wasn't a big need for it in the first place so deleting it shouldn't be a problem.
"This is an emissions control technique for reducing oxides of nitrogen emissions in the tailpipe. A small amount of exhaust gas is recirculated back into the intake manifold to dilute the incoming air/fuel mixture. Contrary to what you'd think, it has a cooling effect on combustion temperatures that helps reduce the formation of oxides of nitrogen (See NoX). The EGR valve is the main control device in this system."

<small>[ April 22, 2002, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: crazyidiot4.8 ]</small>
Old 04-22-2002, 09:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by The Guy in MY 99TA:
<strong>Does it hurt to remove the EGR????? Our 97 Tahoe has been having "EGR PROBLEMS" (quoted by a local mechanic shop) and they claim the engine will not run w/out it.... and it has been missing/going dead horribly! It does this often and you can pull out on the highway and press the gay and it will almost die or you can floor it and it only goes to about 3000 RPM at WOT. Does this sound correct or am I having different problems??
The fuel pump on the truck makes a loud whining noise(going to replace it soon) but could that have something to do with it???

Why is an LS1 any different(if it doesn't hurt to remove the egr on an ls1) why should it matter on a Vortec motor????
Can I take the EGR off of the truck too???

Josh S.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That Vortec you are talking about is not based on the LS1, that didn't happen until 99 with the 4.8/5.3 motors. Am I correct in saying that on the LS1 5.7's if you remove the EGR w/o LS1 edit, you will throw a code? I know they have an EGR delete for the 99+ truck motors w/ LS1 edit, not sure about the older Vortecs. Dumb question, but how many miles and when was the last feul filter change? The problem you describe, almost sounds like MAF problems. I put in a Granetelli MAF and my truck did exactly what yours is doing after running 50 miles. I took it back out and everything was fine. I hope this is a little help.
Old 04-24-2002, 04:28 PM
TECH Addict

The truck does have alot of miles on it (110K or maybe more by now, since I don't drive it much anymore I haven't paid attention) The fuel filter has been changed twice withing the last 6 months that I know of I changed it last time and my dad said he changed once again and then again the other day if I recall correctly(that would be 3 times in 6 months) The fuel pump makes a hella whining noise.... could it be stopped up and need to be changed??? If I get a chance I might try to take it to vo-tech next week and put it on out new engine analyzer...

FWIW the plugs were changed about 5-7K miles ago and usually 89 octane gas is ran in it unless it is a quality gas station(not too many around)

Josh S.
Old 04-24-2002, 06:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fuel pump in my 2000 Chevy whines pretty loud too. You can hear it from probably 50 feet away, so it might be normal. My repair book says check fuel filter (got that already), check plug wires (this may very well be the problem, as the same symptoms happened on my aunt's Geo last week), check plug gap, and check for vacuum leaks. Hope this helps.

Cashdude
Old 04-24-2002, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

this is most likely an fuel filter of fuel pump problem. 5.7 vortec motors have a real problem with keeping fuel pumps in them. if you have a pressure gauge, the pressure should not be below 50 psi. no less. this sounds like a fuel filter problem. it doesn't cost $20 and is easy to do.

as far as a egr problem it does not sound like it. however if you are having egr problems you need to remove it and see if there is any carbon stuck in it. this will cause the pintle to stay open. however an egr problem will miss at idle and go away as the rpms go up.

my 2 cents.