Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble with Thumpr Cam in 2008 5.3 silverado... HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol damm...first time ive heard of that....
Old 01-22-2010, 10:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by SweetS10V8
Thats the longest paragraph I have EVER seen!!! Do you seriously think any single person will read that?
I tried to until I got to this part, and then how could I take it serious?
Originally Posted by Pontiac Derek
... LOL, Thats Ludacris! ...
No, that's ludicrous.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
I tried to until I got to this part, and then how could I take it serious?

No, that's ludicrous.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:54 PM
On The Tree

Sorry for the LONG PARAGRAPH,I wrote it on my phone, I do things the right way and it pains me to see you "experts" spreading all this disinformation, I actually feal dumber having read your posts, seriously you guys that are giving me **** have little to no actual engine building experience, i'm out! I have much better people to waste my time on and for the guy talking about plasti gauge LOL you gotta be phucking kidding me LOL, she don't even knock LOL
Old 01-23-2010, 12:46 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Pontiac Derek
if possible to your damper now rotate the engine and with your eyes watch and see the Piston reach TDC
Make sure to watch it with your eyes.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:52 PM
Staging Lane

Default Cam for sale

I took everything back apart and it was all lined up perfectly! I give up and i dont have cash for a good tune right now! I now have a comp thumpr cam FOR SALE. I have emailed comp cams several times and heard nothing from them. What great customer service! I am hoping to pedal this one and go with something milder. Thanks for your input.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's not the cam, it's codes that have to be turned off using real tuning software to alter information. You've spent 1k on parts and you dont have $250 to get a tune from a reputable tuner? Really should have thought about this BEFORE you spent money in the first place.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:56 PM
JJB
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 00Silv4.8
holy giant paragraph battman!

just line up your timing marks and get a real tune you'll be fine. Engine tolerances are actually on the bigger side

for the record: when I put the cam in my 4.8 we didnt "degree" it, nor did we use some fancy timing set, it was the stock timing chain and gears with ~8x,000 on it. Then when I BUILT my 6.0, I was told it would be best to use plastigauge for the connecting rods because the crank was polished. I didnt do any of that, and the motor didnt knock and to my knowledge is still a beast in someone's garage. Call me crazy but I'd do it again in a heart beat. These motors arent that hard to deal with
ive done a ton of theses just like this ^
Old 01-26-2010, 09:25 PM
Staging Lane

A $1000 in parts???!!! This cam is not made of gold! I bought the cam and gear for $375! I also called comp cams and asked them if this would be ok with a handheld tuner and they said yes. Hence my reoccuring theme, COMP CAMS CUSTOMER SERVICE SUCKS!

PS, i joined this forum for some help not fatherly advise! if i had thought this thru i would have not blown my warranty at 10,000 miles and port matched the heads and thrown this cam in, lift kits, gears, and all kinds of other crap.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why would you try and make a lifted truck fast? just curious...

and dude its not how much you spend on a truck to make it fast, do some research first, dont just start throwing money at all the BS or you shoulda just bought 10 tornado's and electric "air superchargers". Dont give up hope dude, you've already done head work which is obviously not reversible and you have fugged your warranty already. Save some cash for a dyno tune from a good LS tuner and you'll be more than pleased.

In my 4.8 I tried the cam swap in my driveway with nothing but a socket set and screwdrivers, needless to say I FAILED hardcore, but I didnt give up I had someone far more experienced than me help and I couldnt be happier with how my truck ended.

BTW is "disinformation" even a work? .... and capt. obvious, my motor DIDNT knock. I have PLENTY of people to vouch that with a good tune it was a beast.

Quick Reply: Trouble with Thumpr Cam in 2008 5.3 silverado... HELP