Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Texas Speed Torquer v.2 Cam Going In

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 11:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A LS1 w/ stock pistons, 5.3 heads, and stock head gaskets, should be roughly 11:1 static-compression.

Originally Posted by CRAZYCUTER4.8
AS FAR AS LSA, IF YOU LOOK AT ANY CUSTOM TRUCK CAMS ALL THE LSA'S RANGE FROM 114-116 LSA. NARROWING THIS LSA TO A 112 IS GOING TO MAKE THE CAM PEAKIER WITH A VERY NARROW POWER BAND. VINCI HIGH PERFORMANCE HAS HAS A NICE LONG DISCUSSION ON THIS IN THEIR CAM FACTS PAGE.
I know you are very well aware of what a tight LSA will do but, keep a look out for my results here very soon. I'll be installing a 214 cam on a 108 LSA.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sport Side
A LS1 w/ stock pistons, 5.3 heads, and stock head gaskets, should be roughly 11:1 static-compression.

I know you are very well aware of what a tight LSA will do but, keep a look out for my results here very soon. I'll be installing a 214 cam on a 108 LSA.

Very Interesting. Well after talking with Trevor over at TSP I might get the 228/228 on a 112 LSA. He said that the Torquer w/ 112 LSA would work fine with my setup but that I could definetly benefit from a higher stall speed. My convertor is really flashing at 3000+(w/o n20) and that with advancing the cam +2 would probably be just cutting it.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:53 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by TigerFan187
Very Interesting. Well after talking with Trevor over at TSP I might get the 228/228 on a 112 LSA. He said that the Torquer w/ 112 LSA would work fine with my setup but that I could definetly benefit from a higher stall speed. My convertor is really flashing at 3000+(w/o n20) and that with advancing the cam +2 would probably be just cutting it.
i know someone running that tsp 228/228 but on a 114 in a 98 z-28. the tune isn't perfect on it (he's learning how to tune) but he was able to muster a 11.90's pass with bolt-ons, 3k converter, and 3.23 rear.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bluecajun5.3
i know someone running that tsp 228/228 but on a 114 in a 98 z-28. the tune isn't perfect on it (he's learning how to tune) but he was able to muster a 11.90's pass with bolt-ons, 3k converter, and 3.23 rear.
Nice! Trevor recommended the 112 LSA since Im in a heavy truck.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nice! Trevor recommended the 112 LSA since Im in a heavy truck.

Lobe Separation - Lobe separation is the distance in camshaft degrees that the intake and exhaust lobe centerlines are spread apart. This separation determines how peak torque will occur within the engine’s RPM and power range. Tight lobe separations, such as 108° or shorter, will cause the peak torque to build earlier in the RPM range and peak-out in a short amount of time. Broader lobe separations, such as 114°, will start making that torque peak later in the RPM range, but this allows the torque to build over a wider RPM range. Broader separation angles produce increased idle vacuum for more stable, cleaner, idles and better low end performance. They allow for easier tuning, as well.

I feel like the 112lsa will be an issue with idle quality, which will effect intake vacume, which in turn will effect the power assist on the brakes. When you combine poor power assist with a heavy truck......

the other concern is that from what i understand from the listing above is that the tighter lsa does not have as broad of a torque band as the wider, i would say that is ok if you have a 6 speed/ but a truck that doesn't go into 3rd until nearly 100 mph.....it just doesn't sound like a logical choice............................BUT I AM NOT AN EXPERT.....WE WILL SEE..I HOPE I AM INCORRECT & LEARN SOMETHING

Last edited by CRAZYCUTER4.8; 07-06-2006 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lobe Separation - Lobe separation is the distance in camshaft degrees that the intake and exhaust lobe centerlines are spread apart. This separation determines how peak torque will occur within the engine’s RPM and power range. Tight lobe separations, such as 108° or shorter, will cause the peak torque to build earlier in the RPM range and peak-out in a short amount of time. Broader lobe separations, such as 114°, will start making that torque peak later in the RPM range, but this allows the torque to build over a wider RPM range. Broader separation angles produce increased idle vacuum for more stable, cleaner, idles and better low end performance. They allow for easier tuning, as well.

I feel like the 112lsa will be an issue with idle quality, which will effect intake vacume, which in turn will effect the power assist on the brakes. When you combine poor power assist with a heavy truck......

the other concern is that from what i understand from the listing above is that the tighter lsa does not have as broad of a torque band as the wider, i would say that is ok if you have a 6 speed/ but a truck that doesn't go into 3rd until nearly 100 mph.....it just doesn't sound like a logical choice............................BUT I AM NOT AN EXPERT.....WE WILL SEE..I HOPE I AM INCORRECT & LEARN SOMETHING

Let me ask you this. In reality a higher LSA means a later power band? Do I have this correct? If so why would that make that big of a difference since Ill be running n20 other than idle issues?
Old 07-06-2006, 03:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

I AM LOOKING AT THE NARROW POWER BAND ON A TIGHTER LSA.....

think about this: the tighter the lsa the more valve overlap you will have. The more valve overlap you have the more cylinder pressure you will bleed off, the less cylinder pressure you have the less torque you will make.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:43 PM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

YOUR BUDDY DID WHAT WITH HIS 5.3? LEFT A STOCK TRUCK HEAD ON HIS TRUCK? I AM ALSO CURIOUS WHAT MATH YOU USED TO COME UP WITH YOUR PROPOSED COMPRESSION RATIO? IF YOU DEGREED A CAM (ADVANCE IT) YOUR PROPOSED POWER BAND COMES DOWN.

AS FAR AS LSA, IF YOU LOOK AT ANY CUSTOM TRUCK CAMS ALL THE LSA'S RANGE FROM 114-116 LSA. NARROWING THIS LSA TO A 112 IS GOING TO MAKE THE CAM PEAKIER WITH A VERY NARROW POWER BAND. VINCI HIGH PERFORMANCE HAS HAS A NICE LONG DISCUSSION ON THIS IN THEIR CAM FACTS PAGE.

AS FOR THE 224..... I HAVE AN 03 4.8 EC WITH 3.73 GEARS & A 3500 STALL & RUNNING A 224/228 114LSA & RUN MID 14'S ON STRAIGHT MOTOR.

I NOTICED IN HIS SIG THAT HE IS RUNNING NOS..... SEEMS LIKE HE WOULD WANT THE LARGER CAM TO HELP BLEED CYLINDER GASES......
read young jedi, i was referring to a ls1

112 is actually better for the trucks which this cam
Old 07-06-2006, 05:44 PM
5 year bitches!

again like i said i speak from experience with a TV2. i run a 3800. a 3400 would of been fine but a 3500 fbody stall, stalls to 3800 behind my setup
Old 07-06-2006, 05:47 PM
5 year bitches!

idle whats and idle, i have the 112 for the past 2 cams of mine and no issues actually. i did the drill mod and im set. my next cam is 112+2. as for the loss of vaccum on brakes yes there are some, but i manage to stop. i hit 3rd at 6500rpms at 85mph this is with 410s. again i said you need gears for the TV2. again speaking from experience. i drive this cam daily in traffic and everything.

Quick Reply: Texas Speed Torquer v.2 Cam Going In