Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

TB port & polish...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 01:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
...I wish I could find more detailed info on how to's...
Have you visited LS1HowTo.com? They've got some great articles also.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:51 PM
TECH Addict

yeah, that's a good article - I'm glad it covers where 'not' to port.

I worked on mine for 2-3 hours one day, sanding things down completely by hand. There is DEFINITELY a lot of work left to do, but I did notice slightly better low speed throttle modulation and therefore a little increase in mileage.

I think it's worth the time.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:14 PM
TECH Addict

I just got a new dremel today mainly because I wanted to do this while the truck is down for the cam swap. I have no idea what attachments to use. There are silicone carbide grinding stones, aluminum oxide grinding stones (which arent as tough), and tungsten carbide cutters for use on hardened steel. What would I use to polish it after the porting is done?
Old 01-18-2005, 04:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by marc_w
yeah, that's a good article - I'm glad it covers where 'not' to port.

I worked on mine for 2-3 hours one day, sanding things down completely by hand. There is DEFINITELY a lot of work left to do, but I did notice slightly better low speed throttle modulation and therefore a little increase in mileage.

I think it's worth the time.
Did you have any problems with yours since it's the electronic TB? I have heard a lot of people had problems when they did this to there 03+.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As long as you don't take material from around the actual blade you shouldn't have a problem. Just stay away from there.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:10 PM
Staging Lane

mines an 03 and i havent had a prob. throttle response got a little better i will test it at the track maybe this week if it stops raining
Old 01-18-2005, 06:55 PM
Truck addict

Originally Posted by greentahoe
I just got a new dremel today mainly because I wanted to do this while the truck is down for the cam swap. I have no idea what attachments to use. There are silicone carbide grinding stones, aluminum oxide grinding stones (which arent as tough), and tungsten carbide cutters for use on hardened steel. What would I use to polish it after the porting is done?
i used the bit that looks like a xmas tree. it will take material down fairly quick, however it will cake up on you as well. i used a small flathead screw driver and cleaned it up then went back to work. after i took the majority of the material out, i used a rougher cylinder style sanding bit. then moved on to a fine grit sanding bit. when all was sand and done i hand sanded it till i was happy.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 04sierra
Did you have any problems with yours since it's the electronic TB? I have heard a lot of people had problems when they did this to there 03+.
No, no problems at all...

I was very carefull as to not take any material away from the "sealing area" of the throttle body blade... (the area in that illustration in the link shows the 'blade contacting). I didn't go within about 1/4" of the 'blade, on the engine side and airbox side of the TB.

If you take away any material from the 'body where the 'blade rests at idle, it will throw off the IAC/idle calibration because an additional (unknown) amount of air will be sneaking in at idle.

It's not a super hard fix if you have tuning software... but you know, it's just one more thing to worry about.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:43 PM
TECH Addict

Im going to start this tomorrow. I went and got a carbide cutter, silicone grinding stone, and an aluminum grinding stone. I'll work down in that order and then follow up with sandpaper bits. How did you guys make certain you werent taking too much material out? Is there any point in smoothing the outside lip?
Old 01-18-2005, 09:13 PM
Truck addict

once you have it off and look at it, you will be able to tell how much you can take off. there is a good bit of material there to be removed. as far as the lip goes, you can make a sharp edge if you want. i did on mine but it isn't razor sharp or nothing.

Quick Reply: TB port & polish...?