Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Surging?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I had the dealer scan for it...they looked into the issue. Apparently, there's a valve or something of the sorts (which is replaced when the p0449 is taken care of)...that is stuck open. Wont close at all....even manually. They also said it was just for emissions purposes... And since I live in a non emissions county, I wasnt about to pay the ridicously marked up price of 450 to have them fix it. (part through them is around 180...and can be found cheaper elsewhere)...like napa.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:23 AM
On The Tree

and define "shift in gears"... As sometimes, itll do what is shown above...and others (if really hot)...itll hold at 2800 or so...till I let off the gas...
Old 03-07-2011, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well the TCC when it Locks and unlocks it will appear tobe like a shift...so for example you drive and you feel your trans shift from 1st to 2nd. Now I have my TCC off in 1st gear and 2second gear all times because im never in those gears long enough. Or im flooring it and the TCC is off when in WOT anyway. So in 3rd gear mine kicks in...my point is it feels like this 1st to 2nd gear change, then i feel 2nd to 3rd gear change, then i literally feel AND noticeably LOSE rpm as if it shifts in to 4th but its actually my TCC lock up, then from 3rd gear TCC locked to 4th gear change, then 4th gear to 4th gear TCC lock up. So in other words I have 4 gears but I litterally FEEL 6 shifts
Old 03-07-2011, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

So the only way this would be a tcc issue is if the TCC Lock up and Unlock speeds AND OR throttle positions are over lapping somewhere. If you can post your tune file some how I can look at it for you but Im not sure how you can unless you know someone that has EFIlive or HPT
Old 03-07-2011, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

The problem is without seeing your tune I can only give you some half assed ideas on how to check for your TC lockup. If your tune is right though you should NOT have TC Lockup in 1st gear at all. So throw the gear selector in 1 and try to hold the RPM, see if it does that surge... if it does NOT surge then try the same thing in 2. Generally 1st and 2nd shouldnt really have tcc lockup but that again depends on who tunes the truck. I dont like it on cause it feels like the truck is actually shifting WAY too many times. Makes the ride uncomfortable and its not necessary to have them on in gears you dont stay in long
Old 03-07-2011, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

I see. I notice the 3rd tcc lockup in the mornings...then the shift to OD... never feel a 4th tcc lockup.... that being said, the issue is only happening in OD.

Had Wheatley (tuner)...look @ the tcc settings about a week ago...and he said everything looked fine...

1/2 shifts normally...even after I may have had this issue.

IE...say I was driving around at 70mph...then this thing flares up.. If I were to get off at an exit and sit at a stoplight, then accelerate from there, things would be normal again. Until about the 60-70mph mark. Then things may...or may not...flare up right away. But they eventually will.

Had the cruise control on one evening while this started up... it would just sit there and waiver back and forth. That being said, I had been driving for about an hour.

20 min or less trips... nothing happens. It acts normal.
Anything over that...and there's the potential for it to act up.
ESPECIALLY, if the trip is 45+ mins.
Then its guaranteed.

Which is why i'm wondering if something is failing when it gets too hot... maybe?

As for the EFILive/HPT thing... i might know someone... but i'm not completely sure on that...
Old 03-07-2011, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn its only when it gets hot?!? Hmmmm that leads me to believe its a trans issue, but i dont know for sure...Have you noticed the trans temps when this happens? It almost sounds like band failure since it happens when its running for a while. Which in turn would mean two things 1. Your bands are probably chewed to **** if theyve been slipping that long and 2. Your TCC isnt locking up in your 4th gear or whatever you cruising gear is set for. Mine is 4th at that speed. The tcc, when its locked, will lower your trans temps significantly!!
Old 03-07-2011, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

Yep. Only when hot. That said, i've never seen the actual temps...

Like I said... I can drive it all day long within 20 miles or so...and not have any issues. But as soon as it ventures into a 30 mile trip or greater... I'll start having this issue.

Case in point..i drove it home tonight from work (20-25 miles)...and had no issues.

What would be the cause of the TCC not locking up in 4th? or slipping out...or whatever its doing?
Old 03-07-2011, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Generally the only reason it wouldnt lock is if it isnt set correctly in the tune OR if you've swapped PCMs and never did the crank relearn for it in the tune!
Old 03-07-2011, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Other than that its a mechanical issue, but usually TC's dont fail if theyre not taking abuse like that

Quick Reply: Surging?