Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

STS FMIC Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 01:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Default STS FMIC Question

I did a search, but couldn't fine what I was looking for. I'm in the process of installing a OBX intercooler on my truck and I have read that I need to relocate the hose from the wastegate to the intake to keep the boost level happy. My question is can it be hooked to the brake booster hose where my boost gauge is, or will the vacuum it will sees mess with the wastegate? Or should it be hooked before the throttle body so it sees no vacuum?

Also, can the pig tall for the mass airflow sensor be pull out of the harness enough to relocate it to the other side of the motor? Or does it need to be extended? Thanks for the help.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:20 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you look on the passenger side of the intake there will place to hook a vac line. Just break the tip off of it.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its on the side of the manifold near the back of it.as far as relocationg your maf..just cut and add wire to fit...im doing mine the same way as soon as my mandral bends get here...
Old 03-22-2005, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the responce guys, Since that port would have vacuum then I guess the wastegate want have any issues with it.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

I just went to the TiAL web site and they show the boost reference port should connect BEFORE the throttle body. So I will just tap into the charge pipe right before the TB.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:25 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

I guess I don't understand why you aren't just tapping it off the impeller shell?
Old 03-22-2005, 10:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

because the IC will have pressure drop, so there using the vac line after the IC to bring the boost up.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

I read that F8L had problems with boost surging and not stable after installing an intercooler and this was the fix. That's all.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kbracing96
I did a search, but couldn't fine what I was looking for. I'm in the process of installing a OBX intercooler on my truck and I have read that I need to relocate the hose from the wastegate to the intake to keep the boost level happy. My question is can it be hooked to the brake booster hose where my boost gauge is, or will the vacuum it will sees mess with the wastegate? Or should it be hooked before the throttle body so it sees no vacuum?

Also, can the pig tall for the mass airflow sensor be pull out of the harness enough to relocate it to the other side of the motor? Or does it need to be extended? Thanks for the help.
I pick up my boost reading off the manifold. I built my intercooler kit this weekend and have had no problems with surging and false readings. The MAF harness had enough to reach over to the other side of the engine without adding any wire on mine.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:15 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I did have problems with inconsistant boost and false boost readings after my FMIC.

The problem is you are measuring boost from the turbo shell but after the boost gets all the way to the TB is had dropped in pressure by 2psi or so on the OBX FMIC so what you are seeing at the wastegate is different than what you are seeing at the TB. I would see very inconsitant #s at high boost durring WOT runs also. I would go from 11psi to 14psi in one run. So I changed the vacume sense location and everything was at peace in my system. LOL I htink Jerry had similar results so a lot of us started doing it that way.

Quick Reply: STS FMIC Question