Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Stock sway bar side to side preload?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 09:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock sway bar side to side preload?

I've been having a "very bad" time adjusting the t-bars and trying to get my truck to level out and ride properly from side to side. The drivers side is always sagging. (I had the same problems with that damn Avalanche I had -- the main reason I got rid of it).

This weekend disconnected the (front) sway, and leveled the truck out perfectly. I went to bolt the sway bar back up, and I found that it has about 1" of preload in it. It pushes down on the passenger side, and pulls up on the drivers side. WTF is up with that?

Does anyone elses do this?

Do the aftermarket bars also do this?

My only 'reasoning' for this, would be to have the truck follow the crown of the road a bit better... but 75% of the crappy roads I drive on, don't have a proper crown so the drivers side of the truck is always leaning.

I'm considering fabbing up different length end-links to take the pre-load out. That's if aftermarket sways also do this...
Old 03-01-2004, 11:10 AM
TECH Resident

Perhaps your truck was designed for racing on ovals

Seriously though, that is an interesting observation you have made. if anything a trip to your local marine supply shop for some Grade8 or better Heim joints should do the trick..
Old 03-01-2004, 12:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

if you have access to a set of scales and see what the cross and corner weights are for the truck. you may have a spring rate variance. Ideally there should be zero preload on the sway bars.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:12 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I've been looking around for a scale to do that on... I hear there is a "public scale" in a nearby city. Is that what I'm looking for? (I have no idea, I just see the sign all the time)

What would I measure... ideally, each corner of the truck, each side, each end, and then the complete truck?
Old 03-01-2004, 02:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

the public scales will only give you front and rear weights.they are primarily for cargo weight of trucks and only accurate in 20 or 50lbs. increments you need race car scales for accurate corner weight measurements. the scales need to be leveled first then you roll the truck up on them and get the weight readings.
Old 03-01-2004, 03:02 PM
TECH Addict

Okay... I have access to the scale in the pits at Loudon. I hope it's long enough for my wheelbase. Something is telling me it's just long enough for the NASCAR guys. It's in a rather tight garage.

I won't be able to get up there for another two months, unfortunately.