Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Stock air box VS cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 08:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would not open the bottom of the air box like rel3rd, one puddle will have the filter wet
my AEM gets wet when it rains, even with the metal tray under it, yes i left it there to help protect from water, my previous truck i had the tray out and it got wet, and i live in san diego!
Old 11-29-2010, 08:25 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I drive mine in the rain all the time. Never had a problem. I do not, however, go smashing thru large puddles at WOT. That would be stupid.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:29 PM
Launching!

well youre lucky i guess, i dont hit puddles either(cat killer), i leave that to the smartest of people, watch the stupid comment,many here use the puddles LOL, and many here shouldnt touch a wrench.....ever
Old 11-29-2010, 10:41 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont see running an open element filter no different than a airbox with no bottom
I never had trouble with my k&n getting wet in rain and this airbox with no bottom has more protection
Old 11-29-2010, 10:47 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KleenHall
watch the stupid comment
Why?

Originally Posted by grey matter 04
i dont see running an open element filter no different than a airbox with no bottom
I never had trouble with my k&n getting wet in rain and this airbox with no bottom has more protection
Exactly!
Old 11-30-2010, 02:06 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
Why?
lots of rednecks on these GM forums,lol

an airbox that looks straight to the ground has more protection than an open filter with a tray in the way ???
even when my truck was completly stock the filter got wet

i can only speak from experience, its not speculation

Last edited by KleenHall; 11-30-2010 at 02:11 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:10 PM
13 Second Truck Club

an airbox that looks straight to the ground has more protection than an open filter with a tray in the way ???

If you can get the stock filter wet in a stock box you obviously dont need to be driving there
My truck doesnt go offroad and doesnt see more than 1 inch of rain water on the roads so this will not be an issue!
I ran a open element K&N for over a year with no issue of sucking up water
Old 11-30-2010, 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

Post picture of your tube as well
Old 11-30-2010, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

hmm. rednecks huh?

or just smarter and more knowledgeable in these areas than you?

if you were getting your stock filter wet with the stock setup, you must think your a hot-rodder and go splashing through puddles and everything else.

not sure what the heck your doing to get your filter constantly wet, but sounds like you need to find another forum, maybe you belong on the tundra forum where all they do is bash eachother?
Old 11-30-2010, 04:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wink

i would not open the bottom of the air box like rel3rd, one puddle will have the filter wet
my AEM gets wet when it rains, even with the metal tray under it, yes i left it there to help protect from water, my previous truck i had the tray out and it got wet, and i live in san diego!
Don't know what to tell you. I've been through a flood "puddle" just on the right side (accidentally) that was a foot or so deep, at 40+ mph and didn't waterlog the filter, or hydraulic the engine. Scaring the out of myself was the only effect it had. If your plastic inner fenderwells are intact, and your front bumper is in place, it shouldn't even be possible to soak the air filter, open element or open stock airbox. It's over 3 feet from bottom of airbox to ground level on an average truck, from what I have seen.

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
I drive mine in the rain all the time. Never had a problem. I do not, however, go smashing thru large puddles at WOT. That would be stupid.
Originally Posted by grey matter 04
If you can get the stock filter wet in a stock box you obviously dont need to be driving there
I agree with both of you. If rain is heavy enough I'd imagine the filter, even on a bone stock setup, can get damp, but if it got damp/wet enough to be a problem, then something isn't right.

Quick Reply: Stock air box VS cold air intake