Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Started getting **reduce engine speed** for the first time

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 04:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Started getting **reduce engine speed** for the first time

What the hell does this message mean and why does GM not have a complete fix for it? Obviously, I am new to the Chevy truck world and as i work out the kinks on this 04 Silverado I am bombarded with new issues each week. Did I buy a turd?! I appreciate the assistance, thanks.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

The most common cause I see is a dirty throttle body. There is no complete fix for a lack of maintenance.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Found out my Corvette throws REP when the MAP sensor is unplugged as well
Old 10-04-2019, 05:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Any codes? Any mods?

Lets start with the simple stuff.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 306 Likes on 223 Posts

is this a stock truck or does it have mods?
Old 10-04-2019, 12:55 PM

Had a code prior to changing the fuel sending unit the Wednesday before this new issue occurred. Once I changed the FSU the fuel light finally went off and the gauge moved but didn't register the fuel correctly. A few days after that and after I changed the power steering pump is when the "reduce engine power" message came up and the fuel light is now back to staying on as before. The previous owner dropped a 408 Stroker 6.0 with an intake from a Trailblazer SS, a CAM and had it tuned but doesn't know, or remember, what map was used while tuning it. I'm pretty much going in blind and trying to learn as I go. Chasing down oil leaks and replacing the rack and pinion this weekend. When I bought it I thought it would be a good daily driver and something to pass to my girlfriends son once he learns to drive but know I'm second guessing my decision.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 306 Likes on 223 Posts

What throttle body does it have? Is it running an x-link adapter?
Old 10-04-2019, 02:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Triple check all your connections if you have worked on it recently.

Pull the intake tube and inspect the throttle body for and debris

Inspect it for cleanliness, it it's got a black ring around the throttle body clean the throttle body and try that and see how it goes. I see a ton of reduced engine power codes for throttle body issues and have fixed it many times by cleaning them. Sometimes it's something else and sometimes it needs a throttle body but cleaning it is a good cheap thing to try that needs to be done either way and can fix the problem so I always recommend to start there.

Here is a little video I made on cleaning them if it helps ya. In the vid I said brake cleaner doesn't work very well, it does, I just prefer to use throttle body cleaner

Old 10-04-2019, 03:03 PM

**Terravast4** That's a great question... Not sure what type of throttle body it has or if it is running an x-link adapter. What's the best way to find out?

**00pooterSS** I did remove the intake tube to gain easier access to the power steering pump so I'll pull it back off and clean up around the throttle body. Thanks.

Any ideas on how to correct this constant fuel gauge issue? I was going to pick up a new ground strap and replace the 4 pin connector both located at the tank. If those don't fix it then I'll be at a loss once again on what steps to take next. I appreciate everyone's input, suggestions and advise. Thanks.
Old 10-04-2019, 05:26 PM
TECH Junkie

The sending units commonly fail. That's the sensor on the float in the fuel tank. Have you replaced that?

Quick Reply: Started getting **reduce engine speed** for the first time