Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

spending money to go fast?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 05:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spending money to go fast?

I am going to spend about 10,000 on my 2001 5.3 silv. Was wondering whathings should I do to get the best results. I plan on putting a supercharger on and was wondering what do I need to do to keep from damaging the engine and transmission? Thanks
Old 02-26-2005, 06:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Built tranny. Radix or STS turbo.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:21 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by quicksilverado
Built tranny. Radix or STS turbo.
why a turbo over a supercharger? If someone could be a little more specific that would be great. I'm new at modding my vehicles I'm definetely starting to get hooked on mods. Any other ideas?
Old 02-26-2005, 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sixatd80
why a turbo over a supercharger? If someone could be a little more specific that would be great. I'm new at modding my vehicles I'm definetely starting to get hooked on mods. Any other ideas?
Do a search. This has been discussed numerous times. One quick reason is that turbo's make max power sooner than the centrifugal and dont have the parasitic loss associated with all superchargers. Welcome to the site and get your checkbook ready
Old 02-26-2005, 11:10 AM
Truck addict

is this money you have in hand or is this going to be a progression? like stated above, this has been discussed a lot and there are several roads to take.

If i had that kinda money in hand, i would do a 6L with cam and heads, upgrade the tranny, bolt ons, tune and then maybe search for a used supercharger. granted, i haven't done the math but i am sure if you keep an eye out for used parts you could do it.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by goshawk23
is this money you have in hand or is this going to be a progression? like stated above, this has been discussed a lot and there are several roads to take.

If i had that kinda money in hand, i would do a 6L with cam and heads, upgrade the tranny, bolt ons, tune and then maybe search for a used supercharger. granted, i haven't done the math but i am sure if you keep an eye out for used parts you could do it.
cash is in hand i did some research and was thinking of an sts, pistons, not sure what engine internals need to be swapped, a shift kit, and not sure but maybe a 3000 stall converter. I'm not fully educated on the difference of the converter sizes. probably an e fan thermostat that opens at a lower temp. Do they tune if i had the turbo installed or can i just go ahead and order the nelson tune an send mine in?
Old 02-26-2005, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nelson does the tunes for STS turbos. You can buy it from a STS dealer, or from Allen either way.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have you looked into the new Texas Speed turbo kit that is coming out? $4500 and includes fuel injectors, pump, and an intercooler. Honestly once it is out, it seems like it might be a bit better deal than the STS kit.
Old 02-26-2005, 01:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by goshawk23

i agree
Old 02-26-2005, 01:18 PM
TECH Regular

Since nobody mentioned it, plan on about $750-$1000 on beefing up the rear. Another $1000 to $1500 getting a good tranny rebuild ( with high quality aftermarket pieces), $500 for rims and slicks/drag radials. That leaves you with $7000 give or take for engine mods. Lots of sponsors, as well as private parties, are selling/will be selling good used shortblocks ( forged internals, arp hardware...etc) for very good prices ( $3000-$4000+). Heads will be around $500-$1000 (used)( up to $2500+ new) depending on the level of "work" they have done. Then you'll need a good converter $200-$800. Now with the little bit ( very little) you have left, you can opt for a used forced induction kit or a decent nitrous kit. Now nitrous is fun, but FI is always on tap ( read: much more fun). I forgot (sorry) the intake/injectors/throttle body...etc. You can get good used parts in this area of the build relatively cheap ( under $1000 shouldn't be a problem). If you really want the experience of building your own engine you can buy parts individually, but the cost will end up being more in the long run and problems come back to you and no one else ( ask me how I know...lol). I think many would agree with me when I say : build the rear and tranny first and then worry about making power. There is no such thing as overkill for the tranny or rear either so spare no expense on making these two things as strong as humanly possible. Good luck in your quest and if possible you may want to up the budget a little (or a lot). Have fun, be safe, and remember " There is no thrill like whooping someone in your pick-up truck!!!"

P.S. find a good tuner or start reading hptuners forums NOW!!!

Quick Reply: spending money to go fast?