Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some Basic Cam Stuff

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 04:56 PM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

yes sir i will. looking at the tr224 right now. 112 lsa. i think it will be what i want to go to next. if not ill go to a custom grind in the 220 range on a 112.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02denali
yes sir i will. looking at the tr224 right now. 112 lsa. i think it will be what i want to go to next. if not ill go to a custom grind in the 220 range on a 112.
ahh come on.
custom all the way.

just teasin ya. if you sell that comp 224, be prepared for me to pressure you some more lol. i'm gonna give one of his cams a shot sometime here.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:20 PM
TECH Resident

Okay, I'm confused! I chose a small Lunati cam (part #638-55001) because I want to improve my low-end power. The LSA is 116° (112° Intake C/L, whatever that means) which falls in the extremely wide category, right? Lunati says "Excellent idle, Increased low-end and mid-range torque and horsepower" and lists the powerband as between 1500-4500 RPM.

As I say, it's a small cam but I do hope to feel the pull coming on sooner. This truck will never see the 1/4 mile, but will (hopefully) give me LOTS of fun! Here are the specs on this cam:

Duration Advertised: 270°/279°
Duration @ .050'' Lift: 212°/216°
Lift @ valve .471''/.507''
Lift @ Lobe: .277''/.298''
Opens/Closes @ .050'': -06° BTC, 38° ABC Intake / 48° BBC, -12° ATC Exhaust
Old 03-03-2005, 05:23 PM
TECH Veteran

What are you confused about?

What's interesting about your cam though and many like it is they use the traditional split (large exhaust) to help the exhaust escape.

but then they add a 4* advance, seen by your 112icl. +4 w/ a 116lsa

That opens the exhaust valve even sooner. So now you have an extremely exhaust biased camshaft.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SportSide 5.3
What are you confused about?
Well, everything after "what are you confused about?" LOL. What are the characteristics of an extremely exhaust-biased cam?
Old 03-03-2005, 06:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Here's a few quotes for you.

The area most cam companies error on is the exhaust. This causes problems with these limited intake designs. The exhaust VE's are the most important on these setups.
Simply put, on an N/A motor the intake aircharge is not assisted.
After the combustion stroke there is tremendous pressure in the cylinder. As soon as the exhaust valve cracks open it flows a LOT of air. It's basically boosted out of the cylinder if you want to look at it like this. Having the exhaust valve open too early not only costs heat (power) & velocity through the exhaust runners, it also empties the cylinder before the intake valve is open enough to take advantage of the pressure differential. (in a limited overlap/smogable camshaft this is especially true) This causes exhaust reversion & is one of the key factors in surging problems. By the airflow reversing course it is loosing a lot of it's inertia.
By retarding a reverse split cam, you take advantage of the long-runner intake (torque gain), yet still get excellent peak power.
Retarding the cam opens the exhaust valve later, resulting in hotter exhaust gasses & therefore more exhaust velocity, which helps scavanging.
Another thing to note is most advanced cams open the intake before TDC. The intake airflow needs vacuum to fill the cylinder. Before TDC the intake air-charge is relying on exhaust scavanging to pull the air into the cylinder. On car w/limited overlap (smog grind) there is very little scavanging thus the intake air-charge really doesn't start to fill the cylinder till ~10 degrees ATDC. By retarding the cam, the intake will open later....waisting less intake lobe.
Increasing the exhaust flow (more exhaust duration then intake) will cause the engine to evacuate the cylinder too quickly causing the exhaust gasses to stall in the header & be drawn back into the cylinder during overlap....Reversion, mainly in the low-mid range.

By retarding one of these exhaust bias cams you can minimize the effect of the exhaust lobe....open the exhaust later & it won't stall & get drawn back into the cylinder. Effectively increasing cylinder pressure (power) in the low-mid range dramatically, + extending the upper RPM capabilities of the cam.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:06 PM
Formerly one92rs

Talking

yay man i will have to save a good amount for that to happen. but i would like to go that route.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:32 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the assistance, SportSide 5.3...much appreciated! Sounds like my cam should start to pull early; now I can't wait to get it installed!
Old 03-04-2005, 05:50 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rosscob
Seem like you go thru cams like they are disposable. Of course you are making more HP than anyone I know of on all motor. Please keep the rest of us informed when you swap again and what kind of power it makes.
Maybe you need to look around this site a little more. His numbers are no where near what these motors are capable of.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Talking

Originally Posted by 02Reaper
Maybe you need to look around this site a little more. His numbers are no where near what these motors are capable of.
that's true.

there's at least five 5.3L w/ 320rwhp and up.

Quick Reply: Some Basic Cam Stuff