Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Scantool.net OBDII interface...at a REASONABLE price

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Scantool.net OBDII interface...at a REASONABLE price

I just recieved the ELM322 VPW OBDII interface from www.scantool.net ....it's a fantastic deal at $85 and the software that comes with it, although it's pretty bare bones currently is more than adequate for diagnostics and real-time low PID count scanning

The best part about this interface that is NOT proprietary and it is supported by MANY other companies and indiviuals that offer software that is comparable to AutoTap and EFILive....software is available for the PocketPC Platform, the Palm OS platform, Windows, Mac, and even Linux !!!

this is the package I bought...it's the ElmScan VPW w/ OBD-II cable ($84.95)

it includes:
ElmScan VPW interface board
Serial cable (6ft/1.8m)
OBD-II cable (6ft/1.8m)

you can download the Scantool software for the PC at:
http://www.scantool.net/files/scantool106win.exe

PocketPC software (currently VERY STABLE BETA) is available at:
http://www.geocities.com/a_ser_files/ScanTestBeta2.zip

here is a screenshot of the PocketPC software:

And here is probably the BEST PC software available....it is VERY close in terms of functionallity to EFILive, it even includes a 1/4 mile calculator that is VERY accurate because it uses the VSS and odometer to calculate time....the software doesn't have graphing capabilities YET...but will soon
http://ca.geocities.com/t_kolody/Scantool_V0.1.zip
...and here's a screenshot...

The only thing I do not like is that (cuurently) none of the software programs except the last one support the GM Mode 22 enhanced PIDS (read that as NO KR monitoring)

Just thought I would pass this along to my LS1Tech brethern......
Old 12-21-2003, 07:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so you buy the cableing and download the software for free ? . i don't know much about hardware/software interfacing, why can't a program be written using the ls1-edit cable interface ? it connects the obdII to the com port [looks like that one does too], is that black box in the middle the problem ? calling all hackers, write a program that uses that interface, do something useful for a change. if you get a chance let me know how that thing works out for you. i have edit and am looking for a basic logging program to read codes and map problem areas in my powerband. the price looks good, would like to know how the software works. does that circuit board come with a cover ? looks kinda delicate.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:51 AM
TECH Addict

The LS1Edit cable actually talks to the PCM side of the VPW bus....not the OBDII side, that single minor distinction is what enables LS1Edit to modify the PCM permanently (which currently NO OTHER software can do)

*I do now know however what is required to build an LS1Edit cable.....the hardware is pretty commonplace but I STILL don't think it would work with LS1Edit due to issues in the software*

You can buy that combo with a steel cover for $105, and like I said...the software is pretty bare bones currently (new version coming VERY soon) but it is completely functional for LOW PID COUNT scanning....if you try to log too many items you end up with gaps in the data (same as EFILive or Autotap)....scan 3 or 4 and your fine
Old 12-22-2003, 12:08 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw this a while back. It does look promising for those who want a budget logger and code clearing device. I liked the telnet access to the ELM chip and the ability to write your own software. Plus the fact that you can use it with a palm pilot or WinCE device is cool too.

I hear that EFI live can log much more data than Autotap. Does EFI work in the higher VPW bus? I assume it does. The Tech2 has to use the VPW bus as well.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:02 PM
TECH Addict

EFILive IS a better combo....IF you want to spend the money for it....it uses a faster interface to the VPW bus so it can read data at a MUCH faster rate (Scantool will refresh about 3.3 times a second, the Autotap/EFILive interface will refresh about 50 times a second)

if you are looking for something that is user-friendly, works on a PocketPC (VERY useful because Windows Mobile 2003 is a REAL OS...not that junk Palm calls an OS), and is upgradeable THIS IS IT.....if you want a professional tool BUY EFILive

as this system is refined and upgraded it WILL rival EFILive/Autotap....AND maybe, just maybe once bi-directional controls and programming functions are enabled it might make the guys at Carputing run scared too