Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

SC vs Turbo at ½ throttle daily driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 09:56 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by parish8
the only place the turbo is not as strong as the whipple/radix is if you punch it from an idle.

I guess i should have stated like that. Makes more sense...

I roll around with my boost controller set on 5psi for daily driving because if I take off from a light and give it a little too much gas the boost builds up very quickly and the truck just starts to take off. You know what i mean Parish, when you see a couple psi then all of a sudden you're at 6psi then 10psi and the truck is rocketing forward and you're less than 50% throttle.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do agree...turbos are the cooooolest
Old 11-18-2004, 04:43 AM
sfj
TECH Enthusiast

yeah turbos rock and for part throttle i would have to prolly say the same thing as already stated it just depends on the setup but i have always been kind of partial to the good ole fashioned SC
Old 11-18-2004, 11:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Visionxorb
what would have the best mpg at crusing?
I would like to know as well
Old 11-18-2004, 11:46 AM
12 Second Truck Club

My vote would be for the turbo as there is no extra pulley to turn, but at part throttle the supercharger isn't suck much power at all so it could easily be a wash. Under boost your MPG is going to go to hell and a handbasket really quick though.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, I agree with F8L and Parish. You are gonna get the best low end/off idle gains with a SC but for all other purposes the turbo will be the way to go. Now saying that, we truck lovers are stuck with 5000lb+ rolling bricks and the SUV folks like greentahoe are 6000lbs+! Yikes. The SC will definitely get the ball rolling faster.
Gas mileage will be better with the turbo for the previously mentioned reasons ( uses spent gases, not RPM dependent, less parasitic engine drag ). The Radix and now Whipple do use blow-off valves to prevent parasitic drag at high speed low throttle conditions which help out the MPG thing. Turbo lag has been drastically reduced recently with inproved turbine and housing designs but actually provide a nice cushion in low traction conditions or for the 2wd crowd.
I do agree, the centrifical SC designs like Vortech act more like turbos, better top end less low end gains.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:29 PM
single digit dreamer

The SC will definitely get the ball rolling faster.
mmmm, maybe, just maybe on that one and only if your talking the first 20feet. by the 60' mark it will be prety close and the blower will fall behind quickly after that. i am talking at the track or part throttle on the street.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by parish8
mmmm, maybe, just maybe on that one and only if your talking the first 20feet. by the 60' mark it will be prety close and the blower will fall behind quickly after that. i am talking at the track or part throttle on the street.
Sorry, that is what I meant. 60' to possibly 1/8 mile would be close but after that the turbo would be pulling away.
Old 11-19-2004, 02:12 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Visionxorb
what would have the best mpg at crusing?
I average between 15.9 and 16.5 around town and I dont baby it all time. On the freeway at about 75 I get between 20 and 21. Everytime I take it on trip i am so happy with the way this truck and the kit works. Honestly since i bolted up the kit I have not touched anything in the 5000miles I have put on it. Just checked the fluid for the intercooler and that is it.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:11 PM
Teching In

I find that the part throttle power is almost more fun than full throttle. Like Parish said I see alot of power at half pedal- it is fun to just roll into the throttle and let boost take over! It is deceiving though, at first it does not feel fast untill you watch the mph build. I guess when you are used to fast vehicles it is hard to guage speed in a 6000+lb truck.

I also feel the power is better than stock before boost builds on a turbo b/c of the restriction the exhaust has being forced through the turbo housing. I don't see much lag, it just builds more and more.

My gas mileage isn't as good as stock, but I need to play with my AFR as I am now running around 10.8/1 on average in boost.

Ed

Quick Reply: SC vs Turbo at ½ throttle daily driving