Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Royal purple

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 05:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 304 Likes on 221 Posts

While I was having my trans swapped out I remembered I needed my oil changed so I had the guys at my performance shop change the oil they charged me $7 more than it cost me to buy royal purple and a wics filter and they topped off all fluids to boot. they build a lot of performance vehicles (one of them a 1600 hp 68 camaro) and they swear by amsoil so, why not, it cost me the same as my regular royal purple change and my hands didn't get dirty and I don't have to take the used oil to the recycling place.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pay around $4/qt my cost on rp so the price really isn't an issue. I've only had it in for 2k but it already smoothed the truck out and it seems to pull a little harder (swapped to .35 tr6's at same time). My L31 tahoe gained compression and leaked much less from the front main between changes which really surprised me. The diff fluid made a huge difference in the gov-loc engagement and I got some mileage too. I'm not sure if it really is worth the loot but it seems to work well in my trucks along with a k&n oil filter.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I use rp in my '86 C-10 and could not be happier with it. I have seen nothing but good results. I will continue to use it in anything I really care about.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by truckmann
They have amsiol here at the local farm store, but I can't justify paying the $7+/qt.
I know it's good stuff, but I don't think it's that good. I've been using mobil one changing at about 5000 miles and all is fine. If we were talking about conventional oils I would have to agree with the pennzoil sucks argument, but I think the Pennziol Platinum synthetic stuff is actually good oil. As far as Royal Purple goes, while I have no good evidence to back it up that stuff appears to be good for releasing a couple more horses out of the engine, but I feel that it probably does so with less engine protection than some of the others possibly due to a weaker film strength. Just my opinion on the subject. It really doesn't matter much what you use as long as you change it when it needs to be changed.
RP has 4X the film strength of other oils sold today. That is one of the reasons it frees up HP.

Less film strength would produce more friction resulting in a reduction in HP
Old 01-09-2008, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

6 qts I use xpr 5w30 I could feel more of a difference with the oil than with the efan conversion.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2redgmc
RP has 4X the film strength of other oils sold today. That is one of the reasons it frees up HP.

Less film strength would produce more friction resulting in a reduction in HP
Hi....its me the dick. No forum war....just gearheads shooting the bull...and before I respond to the above.....please allow a couple of things...I am a dick in real life and I'm also an old man...so I call lots of folks son....and I have been lucky in the lady department more than you will ever know So.....
RP does not have 4X the HTHS. That is complete and total hogwash. I can and will bore you to death with product sheets and Virgin Oil Analysis to clearly show RP is on the lower HTHS side of things. Or you can just believe some guy postin up on the internet as gospel and fact. So go look at your favorite brand and weight of oil on the manufacturers page and pull up the specs....the higher the HTHS the thicker the oil. You decide if junior is correct in his statement.
And for the 2nd part...no....your mistaken.....the thicker an oil is the less RWHP you make.
Oil is not just oil. It has a significant play in your performance and longevity more than any other component in your engine. Be happy to share if you'd like....but I may call you son by accident
Old 01-09-2008, 04:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sgtgeek
Hi....its me the dick. No forum war....just gearheads shooting the bull...and before I respond to the above.....please allow a couple of things...I am a dick in real life and I'm also an old man...so I call lots of folks son....and I have been lucky in the lady department more than you will ever know So.....
RP does not have 4X the HTHS. That is complete and total hogwash. I can and will bore you to death with product sheets and Virgin Oil Analysis to clearly show RP is on the lower HTHS side of things. Or you can just believe some guy postin up on the internet as gospel and fact. So go look at your favorite brand and weight of oil on the manufacturers page and pull up the specs....the higher the HTHS the thicker the oil. You decide if junior is correct in his statement.
And for the 2nd part...no....your mistaken.....the thicker an oil is the less RWHP you make.
Oil is not just oil. It has a significant play in your performance and longevity more than any other component in your engine. Be happy to share if you'd like....but I may call you son by accident
so what kind of oil to you use???
Old 01-09-2008, 05:02 PM
Staging Lane

Fair question. For now the best returns I am getting is with Pennzoil Platinum 10-30. This is based on significant UOA's....but I'll share also these manufacturers change add packs and base oils from time to time so we stay up on VOA's. Royal Purple I know has changed their add pack. Suddenly we all started to see significant shearing. Start out os a 10-40 and end up as a 20 weight. So you have to stay up on what is going on. Who knows what will return the best wear/TBN next month? Right now and for the past year that "best" belongs to Pennzoil Platinum. Beating the pants off Amsoil/Royal Purple and yes even RedLine. For an off the shelf product....it is tough to beat right now.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:15 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome...dad. Good news...we know your cover. Better news it won't sway us from listening to you. LMAO I promise no forum wars, you don't have to worry about BS getting out of hand over here sarge, welcome "back" (last post of 9/2005)! I'll just follow you around and edit your thread with "(figuratively)" after ever "son".

I don't know **** about oil besides if I change it regularly I should never have "failure" problems with the oil itself. I'd like to get on the best oil ride, I just can't bring myself to pay that much for that **** that I have to dump out in 3K miles.

Hey since you are here...how do you feel about this article?
http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf
Old 01-09-2008, 06:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Well good to see the man with all the hard data on here!
Thanks for making me feel like I'm not a complete idiot...
I've been using Mobile One and have up to this point avoided Pennzoil frankly just because I've been scared of the name from the regular work of mouth bashing. However I think my next oil change will probably be going to Pennz Platinum.

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
Hey since you are here...how do you feel about this article?
http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf
Damn good question. I have wondered about the validity of this article.

Quick Reply: Royal purple