Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which rocker arms to get

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 12:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
I have a question about this. If you look at alot of the build threads from other members where one of the sponsers built the motor they have roller rockers... So my question is why would our sponsers build a motor with roller rockers and most of the "self-builders" recommend stockers... Not trying to start a pissing match just a simple observation...
Im with you man
Old 09-22-2009, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think because RR reduce friction and builders want to get all the HP they can. Home builders are looking more for reliability, cost savings and maybe even keeping the valvetrain noise low, all of which RR do not do. Personally, I am running full roller non adjustable Harland Sharps. I like the idea of getting every drop (which contradicts my cam and converter choice, but hey, I'm a complex kind of guy). It did increase the valvetrain noise a bit, but I don't like friction.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

aren't the stockers known to flex some as well? which essentially messes with (ie, reduces) your lift at that exact moment.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

There is an article gmhtp a couple months back about the stock rockers flexing with heavy spring loads and high lift cams. Whatever you do, DO NOT buy the cheap ones on eBay from Shannons engineering or thunder chicken auto....junk!
Old 09-23-2009, 07:55 AM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DozerDan
thunder chicken auto....junk!
lol... Is that really the name of the company? Of all the names to pick i wonder where they came up with Thunder Chicken Auto...
Old 09-23-2009, 10:43 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
lol... Is that really the name of the company? Of all the names to pick i wonder where they came up with Thunder Chicken Auto...
Sounds really fast!
Old 09-23-2009, 02:13 PM
TECH Resident

makes me wonder a bit too.... seems I see so many people with C5 and GTO builds, etc, all going with Yella Terras these days...
Cost to benefit ratio might not be as high as some other mods, but do they really kill the reliability at all, and in what way? I don't care so much about increase valvetrain noise.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:17 PM
TECH Veteran

There's a thread over on tech where it seemed every person who used aftermarket pieces had horror stories and issues. Just reinforced my belief that the stockers are just fine.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There's also TONS of misinformation on LS1Tech to take everything said over there with a huge grain of salt.

Everything I've heard/read about Yella Terra rockers is superb. Any good aftermarket roller rocker isn't going to hurt durability in any way. Sure they may be slightly heavier (read, beefier..) than the stockers, but with quality pushrods, springs, and what not, it should be just fine. Hell, just go with titanium retainers if you want to gain back some of that valvetrain lightness.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PathfinderJr
There's also TONS of misinformation on LS1Tech to take everything said over there with a huge grain of salt.

Everything I've heard/read about Yella Terra rockers is superb. Any good aftermarket roller rocker isn't going to hurt durability in any way. Sure they may be slightly heavier (read, beefier..) than the stockers, but with quality pushrods, springs, and what not, it should be just fine. Hell, just go with titanium retainers if you want to gain back some of that valvetrain lightness.
gotcha.

Another thing, I thought it was the Harland Sharps that were uneccessarily heavy, not the Yella Terras? no?

Quick Reply: which rocker arms to get