PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Engine & Exhaust Performance (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/)
-   -   question about a cam LSA!!! (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/question-about-cam-lsa-360317/)

UnrthdxDream 03-03-2006 03:38 PM

Oh yeah I already understood that I would need to step up the gears, I'm just trying to avoid tearing into my tranny. Do I really need a higher stall torque converter if I am not trying to blast off the line at the track?

dry_kill 03-03-2006 04:14 PM

well since nelson seems to think its a good idea and i can get good daily driveability out of it, i think ima go for it

dry_kill 03-03-2006 10:31 PM

Who makes good custom ground cams??? A buddy of mine mentioned sumthin about getting XER lobes for the cam, anybody heard of these and are they good???

SweetS10V8 03-04-2006 07:24 AM

Call the Comp Tech line, theyll set you up with a custom cam that is a good match for you. XER lobes are the latest design, they will tell you all about them(very quick ramp rates). Id ask for Brian Pitcher, he knows his stuff.

LSA changes idle because it changes the amount of overlap the cam has. The smaller the number, the more compression you bleed off because of overlap, but this also helps scavenging at high RPM, and allows engines with too much compression to run a lower octane gas. The computer on the other hand will freak out if you go too small on the LSA.

There is nothing worse than an engine with too much cam, I would much rather have a cam one size too small than one size too big.

Are you running or planning on running the 918 springs? I dont know anyhting about your setup, but the worst thing is the "bigger is better" theory with camshafts.

dry_kill 03-04-2006 11:08 AM

I'm going to buy all the necessary springs, pushrods,....etc etc, I'm just trying to be different, I look on ls1tech and people got like 236/238 cams and other like that, most people on pt.net have 224/220 or 224/224, I'm trying to be a little different with this cam, I figure if u can put a 236/238 in a ls1, u can put a 228/232 in a lq9, nelson seemed to really like the idea so I'm gunna go with it, I appreciate all the advice fellas but I'm gunna go with it for 2 reasons, being a little different and power

FarmerBeau 03-04-2006 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by SweetS10V8
Call the Comp Tech line, theyll set you up with a custom cam that is a good match for you. XER lobes are the latest design, they will tell you all about them(very quick ramp rates). Id ask for Brian Pitcher, he knows his stuff.

LSA changes idle because it changes the amount of overlap the cam has. The smaller the number, the more compression you bleed off because of overlap, but this also helps scavenging at high RPM, and allows engines with too much compression to run a lower octane gas. The computer on the other hand will freak out if you go too small on the LSA.

There is nothing worse than an engine with too much cam, I would much rather have a cam one size too small than one size too big.

Are you running or planning on running the 918 springs? I dont know anyhting about your setup, but the worst thing is the "bigger is better" theory with camshafts.

:werd: The main reason that the people on tech are running large cams like that is mainly because they

A: generally have more displacement in their motors (with the exception of the 6.0) Cubes eat cams.

B: they weigh way less than our heavy trucks. Im seeing raceweights on heavy F bodies that around 3500lbs. The vast majority of our RCSS trucks cant make that weight. I would imagine that your extended cab would weigh like 4500-4800 raceweight (dont quote me on that, just an approximate) I really dont know why the heavy trucks dont react well to large cams. I too would like to know the answer to this. In fact Im gonna ask Mark this question right now. ill get back with the answer.

Yelo 03-04-2006 03:30 PM

I'm kinda with dry_kill...if Allen Nelson thinks it'll work I'd lean towards it actually working pretty good, besides, I'm contemplating almost the same cam (Crane 228/232 .600/.600 114) as an interim project before I do the twin-turbos and I've been assured by both Crane and VHP that it'll work great with a 2500rpm stall (mine stock stalls to 2500rpm...), I'll lose ~20 ft/lbs of torque below 3000rpm's compared to the 210/218 I have now but the gains above 3000 are CRAZY !!...and given the traction issues I have off idle I can stand to lose a little bit of torque....

TurboGibbs 03-04-2006 03:57 PM

Dry kill, I personally wouldn't be scared of that cam with a N/A 364. But I like big cams so I'm biased :)

Yelo 03-04-2006 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by mjhoward
Dry kill, I personally wouldn't be scared of that cam with a N/A 364. But I like big cams so I'm biased :)

WOW, this is kinda scary.....we've agreed on two things in a week !!!!

dry_kill 03-04-2006 05:53 PM

Finally a couple of people that think its a good idea!!!!!!!!!