PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Engine & Exhaust Performance (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/)
-   -   project 04 SS (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/project-04-ss-174790/)

Hit Man X 05-24-2004 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by BADMOFO
I don't know about 1/10th of the gain, I got 5 tenths off my ET with my HPPIII, same day, same track, same conditions....not saying its the best, but I doubt anybody got 5 seconds out of some other PCM tuning.

Lemme guess... you had your shift points raised w/ the HPP3 right? It was dyno'd to add like 13rwhp only...that's about .10...

That's where the gains in times come from w/ the HPP3.

My truck is totally different after the tune from Allen.

FWIW...I had a HPP3 on my '99 Z71...didn't add any noticable power BUT it was VERY nice to have the shift points raised.

BlueSS 05-24-2004 10:29 PM

I'm really starting to consider Nelson but wut do u do if u want to take ur truck in for a check up at the dealer??? I happen to know Hypertech isn't the best tuning but it's better than stock and u can put it in and take it out as u please...

Hit Man X 05-24-2004 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by BlueSS
I'm really starting to consider Nelson but wut do u do if u want to take ur truck in for a check up at the dealer??? I happen to know Hypertech isn't the best tuning but it's better than stock and u can put it in and take it out as u please...

It's invisible to the dealer from what I understand. I told ya what the HPP3 is good for, just a bit and not much else sadly.

Last Call 05-24-2004 10:41 PM

I'm going to upgrade from a superchips to a nelson tune eventually. Allen told me that if I were to bring my truck to the dealer he would send me a stock pcm or I could keep my own for an extra 100 bucks. I had hypertech and only helped with the shift points and tire calibration. I would go for for the custom tune.

BADMOFO 05-25-2004 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Hit Man X
Lemme guess... you had your shift points raised w/ the HPP3 right? It was dyno'd to add like 13rwhp only...that's about .10...

That's where the gains in times come from w/ the HPP3.

My truck is totally different after the tune from Allen.

FWIW...I had a HPP3 on my '99 Z71...didn't add any noticable power BUT it was VERY nice to have the shift points raised.

You can think whatever you want, but I haven't seen any before and after track times from you, or even any track times period. Seat of the pants ain't worth a damn, I mean really, who can feel a couple of tenths??? I like my HPPIII, not because everyone else says its great, because I took it to the track and I KNOW what it did for my ET. I don't give a rat's ass how it did it, or if Nelson's can do better or not, I like what I got, and I can take it out whenever I want, I can sell it on Ebay, I can change my tire diameter without mailing my PCM across the country, and the list goes on. I personally want to try the new CRANE programmer, which has built in programming for cam swaps and also the ability to raise idle speed. Half of the people on here who rave about the Nelson's tune haven't even ran their trucks at the track to know for sure what they got out of it, and some of those who have ran their trucks haven't really put up any numbers that have impressed me. Their is no doubt in my mind that that man is the #1 tuner for these trucks, I believe it, but most of the people who are putting down the HPPIII their trucks don't run anyway. Just my findings, sorry!

Hit Man X 05-25-2004 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by BADMOFO
You can think whatever you want, but I haven't seen any before and after track times from you, or even any track times period. Seat of the pants ain't worth a damn, I mean really, who can feel a couple of tenths??? I like my HPPIII, not because everyone else says its great, because I took it to the track and I KNOW what it did for my ET. I don't give a rat's ass how it did it, or if Nelson's can do better or not, I like what I got, and I can take it out whenever I want, I can sell it on Ebay, I can change my tire diameter without mailing my PCM across the country, and the list goes on. I personally want to try the new CRANE programmer, which has built in programming for cam swaps and also the ability to raise idle speed. Half of the people on here who rave about the Nelson's tune haven't even ran their trucks at the track to know for sure what they got out of it, and some of those who have ran their trucks haven't really put up any numbers that have impressed me. Their is no doubt in my mind that that man is the #1 tuner for these trucks, I believe it, but most of the people who are putting down the HPPIII their trucks don't run anyway. Just my findings, sorry!

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/s...threadid=11386

Oxidizr dyno'd an HPP3. 13rwhp adn 7.4rwtq. If you think you can gain .5 with that little power, you're mistaken. The times from the HPP3 come from the shift points so it doesn't sit down in 3rd gear. You CAN do that my manually shifting the truck. .2 in power typically equates to ~20rwhp gains...yes, my ass-o-meter can feel gains like that.

I've used the HPP3 in the past. If if ACTUALLY did something for power it'd be great. The fact is it's a glorified RPM limiter, shift point, gear/tire size adjuster. Hell even if it made as much power as the Predator and was able to set back to stock that'd be great. I gained a considerable amount of fuel economy with my tune from Allen also...the HPP3 can't do that.

Hell I think Y2Ksilverado was running 87 octane w/ that "93 tune" from HPP3 that's how mild it is.

Yes, I have not dyno'd my truck before and after or made track times...WHY you may ask? Dyno numbers and track times don't mean shit on the streets.

If you're so after power gains... IM or PM Kevin (v8 on here) he can give you the lowdown on lots of parts he dyno'd including a before and after flash of a tune from Allen then his track times that got better and better.

MacADaYear 05-25-2004 02:07 PM

Hypertech sucks. I was gettn alota of ping from my hypertech tune no matter what gas I used, including 100 octane. I got rid of the hypertech and all my knock is gone.

With that said, my hypertech droped me from a 16.5 to a 15.5 from my track times. Ive ridden in a truck just like mine with a nelson tune and it pull harder. Take it for what it is...

(BTW- I had NO idea I had any knock untill I got atap. Screw hyperPING :D )

mwalls54 05-25-2004 05:22 PM

Hypertech doesnt make anything for our trucks(silveradoss). i have tried both predator and superchips and there isn't any compairison between them and a custom tune. i have seen on a dyno that a custom tune could give up to 30rwhp where the hand held tuners would only produce 10-15. if price is something you are conserned about i know of a few places that will tune it for under $300.

Mr. Sandog 05-25-2004 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by BlueSS

You need to be careful if you take it in to the dealer - not because they will detect your custom tune, but because they won't. Many times the dealer has updates, and if you allow them to update your PCM with let's say, a tranny slippage firmware upgrade due to a TSB, they will overwrite your custom tune.

Something to be careful of.

BADMOFO 05-25-2004 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Naked AV
You need to be careful if you take it in to the dealer - not because they will detect your custom tune, but because they won't. Many times the dealer has updates, and if you allow them to update your PCM with let's say, a tranny slippage firmware upgrade due to a TSB, they will overwrite your custom tune.

Something to be careful of.

...and at that point, you are beat! How much is a custom tune worth if you decide to sell your truck. When it come time for me to custom tune, I'll get EDIT and do it myself. I'm the kind of person who has to try something to believe it, and I tried the HPPIII and it works. Ask MUDZ5.3 if my truck runs or not, he's seen it run at the track, and 14.57 from exhaust and intake in an ECSB with 17" Escalade wheels is probrobally NOT gonna happen without the HPPIII. It works on my truck, get over it! And as far as HITMAN's comment about, "dyno and track numbers don't mean shit on the street"....what do you intend on beating on the street in a low 16 second truck...not my Hypertech tuned truck, hell, not even my wifes Maxima! :jest: