PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Engine & Exhaust Performance (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/)
-   -   project 04 SS (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/project-04-ss-174790/)

BlueSS 05-23-2004 08:52 PM

project 04 SS

just put in a brute force air intake by AEM on my 04 SS and WOW!!! the truck really woke up i then went to program it with the hypertech programmer, and the programmer said, "This programmer is not for this vehicle". The part number checks out for the 04 4.8,5.3, and 6.0. why doesn't this work? is there sumthing special about the SS? any opinions greatly appreciated... :cheers:

greentahoe 05-23-2004 09:44 PM

Well, 2 things come to mind
1. Maybe it is for the 04 4.8, 5.3, and 6.0 ... LQ4.
Perhaps the LQ9 as is in your SS, requires a different program being as it is running higher compression and thus can run less timing advance. The programming from those hypertechs are generic.
2. How about when you take it back you request a refund and spend a tad bit more and really wake that thing up with a Nelson tune and not worry about dealing with the crap any longer :hail:

BlueSS 05-24-2004 01:58 AM

i was thinkin sumthing like that. i don't want to go in to it to far yet so i was planning on just hypertech for now maybe Nelson later. I was thinking i probs need a hypertech from the 04 escalade which also has the LQ-9 but i'm not sure hypertech makes one for the application... thanks for the info though it backs up my thoughts i'll have to see wut hypertech says about it tomm... thanx :cheers:

BenKey 05-24-2004 05:52 AM

I think a few have encountered this problem in the past on SilveradoSS.com. You can do a custom tune for about the same price.

MacADaYear 05-24-2004 12:08 PM

You dont want a hyperPING tune in that sweet ride anyways :D

Nelsone tune :D

Allgonoshow 05-24-2004 05:04 PM

Here's a good one...

I ordered and received an http for 2002 6.0 from a BBBIIGG wholesaler for a customer and we plugged it in. won't program- already had a vin # in it.
someone had pulled it out the box, programmed their truck and put it back in stock. Of course they will send me a new one but i look like a crook, customer thought i was selling him a used one but we checked the vin with gm and it was for a truck sold far away from here..

Your's doesn't have a vin # in does it?

David

greentahoe 05-24-2004 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by BlueSS
i was thinkin sumthing like that. i don't want to go in to it to far yet so i was planning on just hypertech for now maybe Nelson later. I was thinking i probs need a hypertech from the 04 escalade which also has the LQ-9 but i'm not sure hypertech makes one for the application... thanks for the info though it backs up my thoughts i'll have to see wut hypertech says about it tomm... thanx :cheers:

What do you mean you dont want to get into it yet?? Im not trying to push anything on you, but installing Nelsons PCM is easier than tuning with a hypertech and 100x better in terms of performance. Why would you want to pay $350 or more for hypercrap and get 1/10 of the gains and then spend another $400 later for Nelsons when you can pay $400 now and be done with it and have tuning covered if you ever do a cam or anything else??? I had a Hypertech, it was the biggest waste of money Ive ever had the displeasure of purchasing. Id rethink my purchase and return it if you can. Wish someone wouldve given me this advice before I threw away $350. :D

mwalls54 05-24-2004 07:09 PM

i would go with the custom tune for sure. i was skeptical about them at first untill i tried it. since then i have bought my own stuff to do tunes my self.

speedy02 05-24-2004 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by greentahoe
What do you mean you dont want to get into it yet?? Im not trying to push anything on you, but installing Nelsons PCM is easier than tuning with a hypertech and 100x better in terms of performance. Why would you want to pay $350 or more for hypercrap and get 1/10 of the gains and then spend another $400 later for Nelsons when you can pay $400 now and be done with it and have tuning covered if you ever do a cam or anything else??? I had a Hypertech, it was the biggest waste of money Ive ever had the displeasure of purchasing. Id rethink my purchase and return it if you can. Wish someone wouldve given me this advice before I threw away $350. :D

:stupid: Get nelsons! :drive: It will make hypertech run and hide.

BADMOFO 05-24-2004 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by greentahoe

I don't know about 1/10th of the gain, I got 5 tenths off my ET with my HPPIII, same day, same track, same conditions....not saying its the best, but I doubt anybody got 5 seconds out of some other PCM tuning.