Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Problem with FAST LSX rt intake

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 01:44 PM
formerly ByuTrukFreak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with FAST LSX rt intake

I'm trying to fit a LSX rt manifold on my 5.3. The heads were milled .050. So i'm trying to get it to fit and I can't get it to fit cuz the knock sensor wire won't fit under the manifold. In the instructions the manufacturer gives a part # for the coolant crossover line that switches to front of the heads only, so they know that there is a clearance problem yet there isn't a fix for it. I might have to grind a notch under the manifold to run the wire for the knock sensors. I call FAST and talked to a tech and he pretty much told me I was on my own and that it was made to fit a stock engine. Here is a company that is selling parts to modify an engine yet they are not taking into consideration that there are modifications already done to an engine. BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU BUY FROM THEM, THEY WERE NO HELP AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-15-2010, 02:01 PM
Teching In

if you unloom the 2 wires for the knock sensors and run them seperated there still isnt room?
Old 12-15-2010, 02:01 PM
TECH Addict

Wow that's horrible. You think they would have made some sort of channels to route wires and coolant lines
Old 12-15-2010, 02:26 PM
On The Tree

i feel for the poor guy. without seeing whats gone on do to not messing with that type of intake its hard for me to give any help except for the next time you talk to a rep. at any company get there full name and then try to contact someone of authority at that place of business such as the presidents secretary of that company,explain the issue. and in my past experiences dealing with people in those positions from the aviation world,in the end you will get help and heads will role at the company for giving poor support and tech help if thats what happened,since it the long run it will affect the companies profit in the end. THAT THEY DEFINATELY DONT WANT. if its only 2 wires i dont see why a small drill bit or a dremel type of tool wouldnt be able to make clearance then seal it with a small amount of "sillycone".
Old 12-15-2010, 02:26 PM
On The Tree

i feel for the poor guy. without seeing whats gone on do to not messing with that type of intake its hard for me to give any help except for the next time you talk to a rep. at any company get there full name and then try to contact someone of authority at that place of business such as the presidents secretary of that company,explain the issue. and in my past experiences dealing with people in those positions from the aviation world,in the end you will get help and heads will role at the company for giving poor support and tech help if thats what happened,since it the long run it will affect the companies profit in the end. THAT THEY DEFINATELY DONT WANT. if its only 2 wires i dont see why a small drill bit or a dremel type of tool wouldnt be able to make clearance then seal it with a small amount of "sillycone".
Old 12-15-2010, 10:18 PM
formerly ByuTrukFreak

I'm gonna try with a dremel to grind some passages for the wire, i'm afraid it will burn the wire if I take the wrap off, I'm not sure how hot it actually gets there. I just want other people to be aware of this problem. I did tell the guy that they need to do something about it. Maybe in the future there will be a fix. I mean we are modifying the engine, that's what we bought their part for. I thought maybe I got the wrong manifold, maybe for an engine that has the knock sensors on the side of the block.You have to change the valley bolts because there isn't enuff clearance for the stock ones, and for boosted engines there are some small pads that they stick on the bottom, and it rest on the valley cover so it doesn't get deflection.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

the 99s had the different coolant tubes and it sounds like maybe a different valley cover too. FAST probably had no idea of this which is why they didn't plan for it. To my knowledge, it won't get that hot under the intake, certainly not hot enough to burn any wires up.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:58 PM
formerly ByuTrukFreak

The guy at FAST told me to put some play doh like to measure PTV clearance and see where I can grind and run the wires, thanx for the input guys. I hope this helps someone else
Old 12-15-2010, 11:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

it sucks that your having problems with the install of your intake! only thing i ran into was the steam cross over tube, but you can just put it on the back of the heads and the block off plates on the front of the heads.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:09 AM
formerly ByuTrukFreak

Originally Posted by chevyboy.520
it sucks that your having problems with the install of your intake! only thing i ran into was the steam cross over tube, but you can just put it on the back of the heads and the block off plates on the front of the heads.
In the instructions they list GM part#12568478 front only coolant crossover & (2)GM parts #12563325 plugs for back

Quick Reply: Problem with FAST LSX rt intake