Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powerdyne Vs. Vortech

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI, if you live in a cold climate the Vortech head units with the SC gears are only good down to 28 degrees or something like that. Below that you can have problems because of the very tight tolerances used when setting up the SQ gears.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Pappy Dan is the only one that I know of that has had good luck with Powerdyne superchargers. You may want to shot him a PM.

mjgj72, I sent you a PM.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2CHEVYs
i can say this if the belt is slipping you need to tighten it
ya right, i tightened that belt a couple dozen times, used several belt brands, the smallest belt i could slip on the pulleys, slotted the cheap tentioner that came in the kit so i could tighten even more, and i'm sure it was well over any belt manufactures recommended tention and it still squelled like a pig at 4500 and fell flat on its face no matter what i did.

and i know its not just me, i have seen severel posts on different sites about it and i saw them put one on a dodge on some tv show and when they showed the tape of them running it you could here it squelling when ever they got on it, i was laughing my *** off
Old 05-31-2005, 12:07 AM
Tribe Shaman

never fear PappyDan is here.

I do believe I am one of the few that is having great success with powerdyne.
I do plan to rebuild the unit after my 6.0 is in and finished.

I can tell what belt with what size pulley to stop the pig from making any noise at all.
if you read the direction and under stand how to use the unit it will last a long time.
no the unit is not meant to be used in circle track racing.
but a drag race from time to time, passing slower traffic, it will make the hair stand up on the back of your neck.

it is not like a roots where the pressure is there all the time, it builds as the rpm's build up.
the internal belt does have a limit, the 2.25 pulley will take it to that limit and more.
the pulleys offered by powerdyne, 3.12, 2.93, 2.70, lower pulleys from 928 is 2.50, and the 2.25. I recommend the 2.25 to be used on the XB-1A only,
3.12 = 4 psi
2.93 = 6 psi
2.70 = 9 psi
2.50 = 11 psi
2.25 = 13 psi
new pulleys may need to be cut at the machine shop to make them work with the unit for the right belt setting.
the BD11A is the new upgrade for the belt driven supercharger, it uses the impeller of the
XB-1A, and the snail shell, the out put is 1100 cfm's like the procharger P1C.
as far as upgrading you can take the BD11A out and drop in the XB-1A.
928 does offer a kevlar gates belt and stronger bearings for $120.00 this rebuild can raise the limits of the head unit.

right now I am running a BD-11A head unit, 2.50 pulley rated and seeing 11 psi by 6000 rpm's, and using a gates gator back belt with no slip in the higher rpm range,
almost 23000 miles on the system and still holding up strong.
I would recommend larger injectors 42 lbs, a custom tune, and a better set of tires.
later on you can add the intercooler.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Wow, Pappy you know your Powerdynes!!

Perhaps its not such a bad unit after all.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:27 AM
Tribe Shaman

Originally Posted by GoldenVelvet
Wow, Pappy you know your Powerdynes!!

Perhaps its not such a bad unit after all.
I still don't understand why so many had problems with this unit.
I know some people tried to make it do more then it can. installed it wrong, did not even try to find the right belt for it, or upgrade the pulley with out making it fit right.
most of the horror story's I have read the fault was on the person doing the work not the unit.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:11 AM
Launching!

I hve one on my 02 ext.cab. I recently broke the belt on the inside and replaced it myself. I have a little belt slip myself but just changed the serpentine at the same time as the inside belt. Other than that, no problems. In the future, I will try to hook up an intercooler to it for a little more power. I got a 9psi pulley on mine also. Any ideas on the intercooler setup PappyDan?
Old 05-31-2005, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you dont want the roots system why dont you spend the extra money on a Procharger. I garuntee you will be happy with it.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:38 AM
Launching!

If I had it to do all over again, I would go with the Procharger myself. I just think its a lot more power to be had with the Procharger than the Powerdyne. I just got a good deal on mine for $2200 brand new. Versus $3800 for the Procharger that I could've gotten. I'm married with children. Can't always get what you want.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:57 AM
Teching In

the internal belt breaking is because of of course waer. But to help the belt waer less decelorate slowly when you can, for instants at the end of a hard run easy off the gas dont pull your foot off quickly.

i will say it again if your belt is slipping you need to tighten it. I ran a 8" crank pulley and a 2.25" blower pulley never slipped, and it was ran at 6200rpm on ocasion an inpeller speed of 65000.

Quick Reply: Powerdyne Vs. Vortech