Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

porting stock TB

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default porting stock TB

Does this do anything?
Old 10-17-2010, 07:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

I did my own, both on my truck, and on my old/sold Camaro.

I used carbide bits for rough cuts, and various sandpaper rolls for finishing, but sandpaper rolls alone will work...just take longer.

Both vehicles seemed to be a little more throttle responsive than before, and only took an hour or so to do with air tools. Some people say 5hp realistically, some swear it's a waste of time. I say anything that "helps" air flow quicker into the engine can't be bad, and it's a cheap, or a (if you DIY) just about free mod.

If you do it yourself, there's tons of how-to threads floating around, but in a nutshell, don't try to re-invent the wheel...just smooth the transitions that are there and do NOT touch the area where the throttle blade would touch if it were completely closed.

You can also clearance the throttle stop area to make sure that the throttle blade opens up all the way, since I have yet to see a stocker that does.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:48 PM
FormerVendor

It's not a huge gain obviously but if you do it yourself it's free and every bit helps. It seems to also improve on throttle response as well. I would do it if it were mine.

Jon
Old 10-19-2010, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

is the 80mm bbk one from summit ported? does that one show a decent gain at all?
Old 10-20-2010, 10:42 AM
FormerVendor

I wouldn't waste your money. Same power as a good ported TB and you'll probably have fewer sealing issues with your factory TB. We always recommend the factory TB's unless you are going to a larger (FAST 102mm) intake manifold.

Jon
Old 10-20-2010, 11:31 AM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think in cases where you are forcing air through it, it would be a waste of time and money(if you buy one) It isn't drawing air in through it, it is getting stuffed in there 10-12 times the normal atmospheric pressure
Old 10-20-2010, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

Default Porting the tb

Im unfamiliar with porting the tb. Can anybody help me out as to were you would do the porting? Not familiar with this at all and have never looked at one. Im very familiar with porting chevy heads and flowing them tho some doing that type of work is not uncommon to me
Old 10-20-2010, 12:01 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HEADHUNTER92
Im unfamiliar with porting the tb. Can anybody help me out as to were you would do the porting? Not familiar with this at all and have never looked at one. Im very familiar with porting chevy heads and flowing them tho some doing that type of work is not uncommon to me
I would practice on a old junker first then... The are that goes from the opening, to the throttle blade, gets removed. so that it doesn't have the contour from the blade to the opening, but a flat smooth transition...
Old 10-20-2010, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

I have done mine on all my trucks and if anything ive noticed alittle better throttle response... i just smooth down the rough edges and tand try to make it have smooth flow and keep from haveing turbulance. Its worth it if your gunna do it yourself.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LS1-P...Q5fAccessories

I made a good deal with this company.So I should be have one of these soon.

Quick Reply: porting stock TB