Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Ported oil pump and ls2 timing chain?s

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 07:54 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ported oil pump and ls2 timing chain?s

SO whats the benefit of having an LS2 timing chain I will be dropping the 6L in my truck in the near future and I keep hearing about people putting the ls2 chain on. Obivously a ported oil pump is going to push more oil but is it really needed and worth the money. I will be pushing close to 500hp at the crank hopefully with a 150-200 shot on top of that.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:21 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ask parish if he did all that. I don't believe so. Nobody is gonna argue that more oil isn't better, but not necessary. Chain...maybe with such a huge shot(WOW) If you want to do anything that is considerably low cost that will help with that HP plus big *** shot, put ARP rod bolts in it. That much nitrous is gonna "probably" bring more problems than low oil or getting cam chain drag or slack. Just my 2cents, plus depends on how much cash you are looking to spend to get you to race/daily driver ready. Good luck though! Nothing more fun than trying to make alot of power...especially on an extended cab!
Old 08-01-2005, 09:25 AM

Yeah with an ecsb Z71 it is definately a sleeper. I was going to run arp rod bolts anyway but should I do the chain and pump or just spend my money elsewhere?
Old 08-01-2005, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Yeah with an ecsb Z71 it is definately a sleeper. I was going to run arp rod bolts anyway but should I do the chain and pump or just spend my money elsewhere?
my opinion isn't due to thousands of hours of mechanical skill, just what I get from here and my local mechanic friends, but until a motor savvy builder chimes in...yeh spend the money else where. The rod bolts are really there for the high revs your motor will be doing cuz of the nitrous.

MY BIGGEST advice to anybody looking to do so much is find a reputable source to get all your specs together. Don't buy a cam here, heads there, oil pump some where else, alky kit way over there...try to find a LSx shop you can build trust with, 150 shot of nitrous is gonna bring fun at first (and I would imagine a **** load of fun), but alot of tweaking and possible havoc later. You keeping that built 60e and 3K stall in there for this adventure? 500HP + 200 shot + 5500lbs=dead 60e (built or not) so start your fix or replace "trans fund" now.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:47 AM

The 60e has everything to hopefully let it live a happy life. It will have a window switch on the nitrous so Im not spraying throught the shifts. I have an engine builder already. I am getting my heads from WCCH just like the ones Moregrip got. I am getting a cam somewhat like my sig I still cant decide between 110 lsa and a 112lsa. I will put arp rod bolts in it. I am going to get a rough mailed tuned from Allen Nelson to get my up to San ANtonio then he will dyno and street tune it so I will have the best tune possible. I am probably only going to run the 200 shot at TR shootout and strip the hell out of it down to like 4800 pounds. My tranny has all the stuff the level 5 FLP trans have and they are holding up will in the ss trucks. It has all the 65e good stuff in it too. Do you think it has a prayer. I will be ditching the 3000 stall for a 3400 Fuddle converter.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:25 AM

The 60e has everything to hopefully let it live a happy life. It will have a window switch on the nitrous so Im not spraying throught the shifts. I have an engine builder already. I am getting my heads from WCCH just like the ones Moregrip got. I am getting a cam somewhat like my sig I still cant decide between 110 lsa and a 112lsa. I will put arp rod bolts in it. I am going to get a rough mailed tuned from Allen Nelson to get my up to San ANtonio then he will dyno and street tune it so I will have the best tune possible. I am probably only going to run the 200 shot at TR shootout and strip the hell out of it down to like 4800 pounds. My tranny has all the stuff the level 5 FLP trans have and they are holding up will in the ss trucks. It has all the 65e good stuff in it too. Do you think it has a prayer. I will be ditching the 3000 stall for a 3400 Fuddle converter.
yeh it'll be fine. Just ask Allen...I am a little pessimistic, I've had my issues with my stuff. The 110lsa or the 112lsa, the 110 will help with low end but have less idling characeristics, and the 112 is the opposite. Can't win can we? LOL Have you asked your engine builder what cam would best suit your needs? great article, http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...re/0504em_cam/

Just make sure you are positive that you are headed in right direction when matching heads/cam/and stall. Just ***** and giggles, call each cam company and tell them your plans, then ask for a recommendation on cam specs. See how far apart they are.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:30 AM

What do you mean by less idling characteristics I want a nice lopey cam. I want his thing to get up and go Im not worried about spinning it up into the atmosphere high rpm range.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:31 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
yeh it'll be fine. Just ask Allen...I am a little pessimistic, I've had my issues with my stuff. The 110lsa or the 112lsa, the 110 will help with low end but have less idling characeristics, and the 112 is the opposite. Can't win can we? LOL Have you asked your engine builder what cam would best suit your needs? great article, http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...re/0504em_cam/

Just make sure you are positive that you are headed in right direction when matching heads/cam/and stall. Just ***** and giggles, call each cam company and tell them your plans, then ask for a recommendation on cam specs. See how far apart they are.

the best advice I got from a Cam Company was from Cam Motion.
the best advice I got on a viable Combo was Richard from WCCH, West Coast Racing Cylinder heads.

and lots of good Cam talk on here and Tech
Old 08-01-2005, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by moregrip
the best advice I got on a viable Combo was Richard from WCCH, West Coast Racing Cylinder heads.

Yes richard has helped me alot he is the one that suggested the cam in my sig and to go with ihis heads. Everybody just keeps telling me to go with a 112lsa instead of the 110 and Im trying to figure out which one to go with.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by moregrip

that's who I was thinking of...cam motion

What do you mean by less idling characteristics I want a nice lopey cam. I want his thing to get up and go Im not worried about spinning it up into the atmosphere high rpm range.
Lopey cams are by nature not that decent at idling.
BigTex is pretty good w/cams as well. The lower the lsa the more lopey. The longer the duration as well. But you still need to make sure you are within range of that stall and head install or you can live up in the high RPM atmosphere as long as you want but still never produce any usable HP. http://www.cammotion.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=93

Quick Reply: Ported oil pump and ls2 timing chain?s