Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ported my OEM airbox.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 04:07 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

word.... hes gives us EC's hope.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:37 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Y2K Silverado
If that's want you want to call it? I decided to try and make the OEM airbox flow more air without having the ram-air set up. I used a Dremel tool to enlarge both openings by removing all the excess plastic, both openings were smaller than the foam insulator that's around them and the upper one had real rough edges. I ground down the plastic so it's smooth and the same size as the foam. After I enlarged both airbox openings, I reinstalled the airbox bottom and saw that now the openings in the fender were to small, I mark them with a black marker and removed the airbox bottom. I used a grinding bit on my electric drill to grind the metal off and then filed the edges smooth. I painted the edges on the fender openings to prevent them from rusting and let it dry. Reinstalled everything and drove the truck, it feels good but that could just be me wanting it to work. I would say the I increased the top opening by a total of 8-10% and the bottom opening by 30-40%. This is the fender openings, which I believe were already smaller than the openings on the airbox, when I enlarged the airbox openings, it made it more noticable. I gauge that by the amount I enlarge the fender openings which are now the same size as the airbox openings. Just thought I would pass this on.
Jim
It seems like you are pretty concerned about how much air your truck takes in!
I think a Radix might give you a little better flow.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

did you ditch the pro cold or what was the story on that? i guess i lost track of the thread????/
Old 01-05-2004, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Black Blown 02
It seems like you are pretty concerned about how much air your truck takes in!
I think a Radix might give you a little better flow.
That's true about the Radix, the money would flow right out of my wallet!
LOL!
Jim
Old 01-05-2004, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Brandon
did you ditch the pro cold or what was the story on that? i guess i lost track of the thread????/
It didn't work out. It's a quality intake but it only improved performance by a hair over what I've got now so I sold it (tentativly). I made the deal to sell it before Dave from Pro Cold got back to me and said I could return it for a full refund. I won't renig on the deal though, that's not my style. I'm only losing a little money and if the deal falls through, then I'll return it.
Jim