Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poor Mobil One?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 02:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure there is a difference, and I'm sure power can be made, but how much power are we talking about? I'm willing to bet it's not more than 1-2 hp. People say anything counts, but saving $25 every oil change is worth the sacrifice of 2 rwhp.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:01 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RandomHero
I'm sure there is a difference, and I'm sure power can be made, but how much power are we talking about? I'm willing to bet it's not more than 1-2 hp. People say anything counts, but saving $25 every oil change is worth the sacrifice of 2 rwhp.
I agree whole-heartily. I just use Castrol in mine right now.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by shandy294
X1

I'd just like the engine to get the best lubrication possible; so that makes the topic interesting. If I knew,for sure, that another syn oil was better than M1, I might switch. I've been using M1 for over 20 years and have noticed they reformulate it every so often. I wonder if that only means they've found a way of making it cheaper.
Ya, I wonder if they're makin it cheaper to add to the BILLIONS they already make.

BTW, so when Coke redoes formula, does it taste better or cost less to produce?

Originally Posted by trever1t
When one company states the name of the product they say they are 'better' than it indicates that the other company is the standard of industry.
I'm inclined to agree w/. the old man on this one.

Originally Posted by nightrunner
Royal Purple or Amsoil is supposedly better
I was gonna do a thread & ask what oil most on PT used. I used RP up til my last oil change. At 61K, I switched to Mobil1. Why? Simple economics. I was able to buy Mobil1 on sale for $5/ qt. So I bought 48 of 'em. RP was ~$7.25 for best price. I debated long & hard cause yrs ago I read RP adds HP & protects better. While (RP) might test on a 500 HP engine & see a few HP, I prolly won't see it( the extra HP). Perhaps I'd see a gain in longevity/ breakdown over time.

Elsewhere it was stated, routine changes are the key, IMO.

Last edited by fastnblu; 08-28-2009 at 03:16 PM. Reason: I see Mark already said bout few extra HP.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fastnblu,

Please stop talking. Nobody is going to listen to a word you say with an avatar like that.

I prefer Castrol, but in a bind I've been known to use other oils for changes, as long as it's an ASE Certified motor oil (typically Valvoline, Pennz, or M1).
Old 08-28-2009, 05:12 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from what ive heard is that pennzoil is one of the worst oils you can use, so i tend to shy away from that.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:37 PM
TECH Junkie

from what ive heard is that pennzoil is one of the worst oils you can use, so i tend to shy away from that.
That may have been true 30 years ago, but doesn't mean crap now. Actually Pennzoil Platinum synthetic is one of the highest rated syn oils based on oil analysis.

I'm of the camp that it doesn't really matter though and usually use the wal-mart supertech brand. I've used about every brand of oil you can buy at wal-mart and my vehicles have always runs the same regardless of brand. I've even contemplated using the expensive brands like amsoil and RP, but can't justify the additional costs. It's all just a bunch of marketing hoopla.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Terry Hesticles
fastnblu,

...Nobody is going to listen to a word you say with an avatar like that.
You noticed?!?
Old 08-28-2009, 05:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by fastnblu
You noticed?!?
...WHAT?... (.)(.) make me
Old 08-28-2009, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

KBracing...no I run 6 qts...I probably have at least 7 on-hand now
Old 08-28-2009, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've always heard to stay away from the Pennsylvania made oil such as pennzoil and quaker state. Something about the oil from them is the best way i can describe it "lesser quality"

Quick Reply: Poor Mobil One?