Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Piston Slap My A$$!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 05:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dkubricht
off topic
hey flyer, for some reason I can never d/l anything from your site. is it turned off at night cause thats the only time i ever try to get anything?
I'll send you a PM.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:43 PM
TECH Regular

well the dealership is going to replace my motor. they didnt give me any **** this time. they acutally gave me an apoligy....wich was very nice of the and they extended my warranty for free. they said it was a defect in the bottom end. they didnt say exactly what was defective. but its gettin taken care of. so everything is going smooth so far. i just cant wait to get my truck back now.....i miss it!!! LOL!!!!
Old 09-29-2004, 10:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

thats a helleva defect. never see a brand new motor throw three rods like that. glad to see its going to be fixed/
Old 09-30-2004, 01:57 PM
Teching In

Hey Slamed 04 Silverado Sorry to hear the blowen engine.
I too had fear of that happening to my 2002 Silverado RCSB 5.3 with only 26000 miles(3years old) on it one of this days. The noisey engine just kept up getting worst in the mornings. I decide to bite the bullet and just trade that puppy in. I ended up buying a 2004 GMC Crew Cab Short Bed 5.3 (needed extra space this go around). With the rebate (of more than 10k off the GMC and the great trade in value of my 02 it was hard to pass up I am starting to think that the reason I got a good trade in is one super low miles on the truck another reason may be one more truck with knock noise off the road, who know.
). The 2004 GMC has only about 1100 miles at this point, but the sound when starting up is totally different NO noise, very quiet. The 2004 GMC was on the last batch of 2004's to be built I believe it was built about 5 months or so ago..............Wishing you luck on the warrenty repairs.
Old 10-01-2004, 03:18 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Zepol
Hey Slamed 04 Silverado Sorry to hear the blowen engine.
I too had fear of that happening to my 2002 Silverado RCSB 5.3 with only 26000 miles(3years old) on it one of this days. The noisey engine just kept up getting worst in the mornings. I decide to bite the bullet and just trade that puppy in. I ended up buying a 2004 GMC Crew Cab Short Bed 5.3 (needed extra space this go around). With the rebate (of more than 10k off the GMC and the great trade in value of my 02 it was hard to pass up I am starting to think that the reason I got a good trade in is one super low miles on the truck another reason may be one more truck with knock noise off the road, who know.
). The 2004 GMC has only about 1100 miles at this point, but the sound when starting up is totally different NO noise, very quiet. The 2004 GMC was on the last batch of 2004's to be built I believe it was built about 5 months or so ago..............Wishing you luck on the warrenty repairs.
Thanks man. I just cant wait to get it back. I should get it back Monday or Tuesday. I cant wait to see if this new motor is going to have a tap. GOD i ****** hope not.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

Sorry to hear about all of ya'lls problems. First, let me say that I work at a chevy dealership, and am a qualified tech. The knocking or tapping on initial start-up in the morning can normally be solved one of two ways. First, a PF46 oil filter, it has a check valve in it to keep the oil in the crankcase when the engine has been shut off and has no oil pressure. Also, please do not use a fram oil filter, I have seen problems with these, I have even seen a fram oil filter blow a dipstick out of its tube!!!! If your not going to use ac delco, use a wix or napa gold. Second, we have replaced several sets of lifters, some have collapsed and make a similar noise on initial crank-up and during normal engine operation. Also, it is a good idea to replace all the lifters if one has failed. on another note, the reason dealerships don't like warranty is, warranty time does not pay as much as customer pay time. another words, lets say a particular job actually takes 1.5 hours to complete, warranty will only pay, lets say about .9 of an hour. Warranty work often bites technicians in the butt, I know customers get aggravated when they go to a dealership and are told no problem found, but thats just the way it is sometimes. If there is an actual problem, sometimes it just has to get worse so the the tech can duplicate customer complaint. But in reality, they're all man made and subject to failure at some point in time, due to driver abuse or mileage, they're all gonna die sooner or later. I hope I haven't offended anyone with my ramblin, but I really don't care. just remember next time you walk into a dealership "sugar attracts more bees that vinegar." Please don't go in and start raising cain, that will make the service personnel very unwilling to help.
Old 10-06-2004, 02:33 PM
TECH Regular

well i got my silverado back. no more slapping or tapping. runs great and looks good. the dealer told me if it starts to make noise again to bring it back in. so im hopeing that i will have no more problems with it.
Old 10-06-2004, 03:18 PM
On The Tree

good deal slamed04. when this one breaks in a lil bit, still change to that mobil1. holla!
Old 10-06-2004, 07:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by slamed 04 silverado
Thanks man. I just cant wait to get it back. I should get it back Monday or Tuesday. I cant wait to see if this new motor is going to have a tap. GOD i ****** hope not.
Just give it time. Mine was nice and quiet when it was new. Not anymore. My solution was to put on a loud exhaust.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:26 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 2003Silvyrado
Just give it time. Mine was nice and quiet when it was new. Not anymore. My solution was to put on a loud exhaust.
well i already have a very loud exhaust..... 1 chamber race Flowmaster.....its loud as all hell. it should be a little louder after i put my TOG headers on. But my old motor was tapping when i bought it and then the tap turned into a knock and then it blew up. so im hopeing that this one wont give me any problems.

Quick Reply: Piston Slap My A$$!!!