Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics of GTO 90* spark plug wires

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep, same design as on my truck.... wish mine were blue tho...might have to get some at that price...lol
Old 01-05-2011, 11:02 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I just put on my hat, scarf, and gloves (of course jacket too) and gave it a shot...they clear the SW headers great, but otherwise they're too damn short! I was able to force all of the wires on the driver side, but it was much more trouble than it's worth. I had to put the wire end on the plug first or they wouldn't go on at all...then I had to pull up on the boot on the plug to be able to get the coil end boot straight enough to click in. I was able to force all of the driver side wires on, but I'm afraid that with some good vibrations, the boots will work their way off of the coils. Not so sure that I'm going to run these wires...they look damn good though, but they're stretched to their max, and the heat shields are being pulled so that they're resting against the header flanges, and the #1 boot is against the coolant temp sensor

What year is your truck Corey? (nevermind, I see from your sig that it's an 04) I know that GM changed the coils somewhere along the line, maybe yours are a little longer or something.

Last edited by budhayes3; 02-26-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:08 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

I can see from your pic that your coils (and old wires) are different than mine...now I'm curious to know what year that they changed. I know that I've read that the newer coils are supposed to be "better" somehow...

*EDIT* BTW, I brought my camera downstairs to the garage with me to take pics (the truck's outside in the driveway, garage is filled with tools and needing badly to be organized), but the battery's dead. I found my original wires, and they're much longer than the blue delco ones, as are the MSD's which are the same size as the stockers (with a slightly longer boot). I'm definitely not going to run these wires with these coils...might keep the wires and save up some dough for some coils...

Last edited by budhayes3; 01-05-2011 at 11:54 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:56 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The coils with the heat-sinks use a different length than without. I can't remember which uses the shorter wires at this time...... Maybe the answer is in the bottom of this Coors Light can........BRB
Old 01-06-2011, 01:17 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Do you know if the plugs are the same Roger? I believe that the newer coils have the heat sinks/shorter wires...

*EDIT* The coils that take the shorter wires appear to be the round coils upon further review...

Last edited by budhayes3; 01-06-2011 at 01:41 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:14 AM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Man that stinks. you must have the square coils...
Old 01-06-2011, 11:27 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I never found the answer. Kept checking cans though.........headache this morning......
Old 01-07-2011, 10:10 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
Man that stinks. you must have the square coils...
Yep, so I learned something here...the square coils take the longer wire and the round coils take the shorter wire, and the 90* boot plug wires will fit. Through this, I did some research and found out that the round coils, with the heat sink, are the more desirable coil or the two. I saw a set of those coils in a classified somewhere, really cheap, a while ago. If I knew then what I know now I would have bought them. Think that I'll hang on to the wires and slowly save up for some coils though, These wires fit great around my headers, and I wanted blue wires

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
I never found the answer. Kept checking cans though.........headache this morning......
That's OK Roger, thanks for trying!

Almost forgot, I took a pic of the MSD, Stocker, and GTO 90* wire together

And I think I know what happened to my forearm, I think that I "popped" a tendon, which would explain the loud "crack-pop" sound I heard right before the pain I bought one of those tennis elbow supports that has this little air pouch that puts pressure on the tendon...I just turned it around so that pouch is on the inside where the pain is, it seems to help...hurts like hell but I can work through it so I can't be that bad.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you going to keep the GTOs or would you sell them?
Old 01-07-2011, 11:27 PM
makes children cry

Received 399 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by OL' MAN
Look's good! I wonder if a set of those would solve my clearance problems on my old style "camel hump" Dynatechs?
Originally Posted by AJII
They won't. You still need something to hold the wires out of the way.
i'm eventually gonna get those eBay knockoff headers that're styled like this. has anybody found any wires that work without using header wrap or making a bracket?

Quick Reply: Pics of GTO 90* spark plug wires