Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCMFORLESS or NELSON tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 02:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it really depends on how much you wanna pay... they are both great tuners, with real good customer service, if you're close to san anton might as well give allen a call "nelson"... good luck with your project
Old 11-03-2004, 07:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suggest go to Allen's shop and have your truck dyno tuned. BTW, I did gain some mpg with his tune.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:44 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Old 11-03-2004, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

I choose Nelson and if I did it again I would choose Nelson because you get free updated tunes for as long as you have the truck. Ive gotten 4 upgrades from him. Great tune. Im not gonna knock PCM4less because Ive never used but I did use Westers and Nelson was better by far!(Same truck!)
Old 11-03-2004, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

NELSON NELSON NELSON just get nelsons tune its great no problems and if there is hell send anpther one to you the within that week depending on the date of reorder!! Free updates if you mod even more things and great customer service!!! BUT FREE UPDATES takes the cake besides i know for a fact i gained alot more from him than i did with any other program
Old 11-03-2004, 01:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 01Blackerado
besides i know for a fact i gained alot more from him than i did with any other program
So you have run PCMforless tune and tested both?

Heres what I would do -

Plan to keep modding and working on your truck in an attempt to break things and run blazing 13 sec. 1/4 times then go with Nelson.

Plan to set up your truck and leave it be, drive it and have fun with it then do all your mods (shift kit, intake, T-Stat, etc) and order a PCMFORLESS tune and just drive the sucker.

If I knew I was going to keep playing with my truck, tuning and constantly tweaking it indefinitely I would opt for Nelson because of the free upgrades. If I planned to tweak the truck just a little and did not plan to race all the time but simply wanted better than factory performance I would go with PCMFORLESS because its cheaper up front and you wont be going back again and again for retune so the free upgrades dont matter. I wont be buying another late model GM vehicle after this one (as I am very unimpressed with build quality and service from GM) but if you plan to buy new GM trucks and know you will run nothing but then Nelson would be the way to go as you can get a PCM done again for shipping.

So - mod for the life of your truck or plan to keep purchasing new trucks - Nelson

Mod once or twice (as you will still be under initial Nelson price even after a second tune) and leave your truck be, then I would go with PCMFORLESS.
Old 11-03-2004, 03:16 PM
TECH Resident

My vote is Nelson. Awesome performance gain and incredible customer service!
Philip S.
Old 11-03-2004, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

So your telling me that your gonna get a CAI,exhaust.T-stat, and be cool. If that is true your are unlike every person ive talked to on this site. Im not saying your gonna want to get a turbo and then stroke it but most people want to. Then one day your gonna roll up on some teenage girl driving her boyfriends Dodge and she is gonna treat you like a bitch and your gonna be so pissed you go and buy a cam setup or whatever and your gonna need tuning. In my case there is usually a decent amount of time between mods so I can get the most out of them with tuning instead of driving around just knowing that I could be getting more out of my truck but Im saving for more parts!
Old 11-03-2004, 06:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TigerFan187
So your telling me that your gonna get a CAI,exhaust.T-stat, and be cool. If that is true your are unlike every person ive talked to on this site.
EXACTLY what I am saying. I have my 70 Chevelle SS as my project and fun car (read - as the fast one). The truck is a truck. My point was if you arent part of the "My truck is the FAST car" crowd, dont plan to race all the time, etc. then after initial bolt ons and tune what good would paying the extra 200 bucks be for the Nelson tune if you do not plan to keep tweaking it and tweaking it? Save 2 bills, get your tune and simply drive your truck.

Im not saying your gonna want to get a turbo and then stroke it but most people want to. Then one day your gonna roll up on some teenage girl driving her boyfriends Dodge and she is gonna treat you like a bitch and your gonna be so pissed you go and buy a cam setup or whatever and your gonna need tuning.
Nah, see response #1. Id just go home and get my SS and walk away from these trucks like an anorexic does from a sandwich.

But I agree, IF - IF - you are part of the crowd that sees the truck as your performance vehicle and you will treat a newer truck as one and as a project, then ABSOLUTELY I would go with Nelson. But if not, if your like me and your truck is your truck but not your performance oriented vehicle than it would be a waste, IMO, to pay the extra 2 bills.
Old 11-03-2004, 08:03 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had great customer service with Bryan from PCM4Less...he's currently working something out based on an 02 PCM to try and combat my false KR issues. The 99 PCM that's in there now is tons better than the original, and I gotta say it shifts awesome.
Once my KR is all ironed out, I don't plan on making any major performance changes for a long time. The truck's my daily driver and only form of transportation so unless I win the lottery, it's gonna stay in it's current configuration, except for cosmetic changes...(so I keep telling my wife at least)
Of course from what I've learned here and on other forums, both guys obviously know their stuff...I guess it depends on what you plan on doing in the future and possible proximity...I know that we have alot of members in Nelson's neighborhood.
As far as I'm concerned, Bryan's done right by me and I'm very happy with his service.

Quick Reply: PCMFORLESS or NELSON tuning?