Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 01:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

The belt doesn't look polished like its been slipping on the smooth side. Looks like a belt with 30,000 miles. The OE pump pulley would spin, but there was resistance. When I spun the new pulley this morning, it was drastically easier to spin. I'm excited to remove the old pump and see if I can forensic files that mother. I've never spent so much time looking at a temperature gauge......excited to put this one behind me.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:37 PM
On The Tree

The drip down the timing cover was indeed related to the water pump. The gasket was failing. The red/orange silicone sealant on the driver side gasket had let go and was passing water down the bottom of the pump manifold/block. That was the easy part.

Trying to get the air out of the cooling system is kicking my ***. I have the truck parked on a slight incline. Tomorrow I am going to flip her around and see if that makes any difference. The last time I was burping it, I had success after it was parked facing down the incline. This seems counter intuitive, but whatever, it worked once. It seems like it is not pulling off of the reservoir. When I squeeze the upper radiator hose I can see bubbles come out, but then they will stop. I'll fire it up, squeeze the hose, but then you can't feel any flow through the hose. It will get hot and you can tell the hose is filled with steam. Obviously I then shut it down. I've done far more dicking with this than I care to admit. If flipping it around the other direction doesn't help, I'm going to get a vacuum coolant fill kit. There is no good reason I should having this much trouble.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Refill the coolant from the water pump neck first, then connect the top hose to the pump and fill from the hose itself, then the overflow tank - start the truck with the cap off of the overflow tank and let it run until the thermostat opens and the level in the tank drops. Repeat the starting/running steps until the level stays constant and you'll eliminate the air in the system. I had the same issue a while back and this routine did the trick.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

The truck now runs without overheating. Last night I tested my thermostat like ezdaar recommended. It opened and looked good. I went to lube up the thermostat gasket (I've got mental problems), and lubed up the previous and questionable thermostat. After finally getting it running cool I was putting up my tools and saw a shiny, new, and tested thermostat sitting on my workbench. There was no way I could sleep knowing the untested and questionable one was in the truck. So I started over.

This morning I filled the upper hose and the radiator. I cut the old upper into a bull horn and put almost a gallon into the radiator. The health of that radiator is now in question. GM parts direct has a decent price, so I'm going to grab one of those. I'm a little pissed I didn't start by replacing everything.

Thanks for all the replies. I ran around for 30 minutes with the A/C blasting in 95* Texas heat with no temperature issues.
Old 08-19-2017, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Glad you got it fixed. If you plan on further mods you may as well upgrade the radiator to the 35" and drop in the electric fans as well.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

Luckily the truck was equipped from the factory with both. I love this truck. It has been so good to me. It warns me when its pissed off. Hasn't given me too much crap. I'm a fuel system and a rear end overhaul away from a Procharger!
Old 08-20-2017, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shaggy2dope
Luckily the truck was equipped from the factory with both. I love this truck. It has been so good to me. It warns me when its pissed off. Hasn't given me too much crap. I'm a fuel system and a rear end overhaul away from a Procharger!
I hear ya...my fresh motor has less than 3k on it & had it specd for boost. 80e swap is done as is the rear end, driveshaft, and fuel system. Putting together a dedicated 8 rib drive system now...just waiting for someone to put a DSC1 up for sale