Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Ok, curiosity got me...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 10:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1994Vmax
My truck is a 4x4... there is no fitment issues. They had problems with hitting the frame with old worn out engine mounts on the latest creations but that didn't sound localized to just the cheapy headers.
Ok, so as long as the mounts are in good shape they have no collector or O2 sensor bung issues, that’s good to know.

I just don’t wanna fight a set to get them in just bc I’m not spending $1k. After talking to TSP they told me they suggest using a 45* O2 sensor adaptor to get around the bung issue for their stainless LTs.
Old 09-01-2019, 01:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,068 Posts

I didn't have fit issues with the O2 sensor on my TSPs. I did however have to peen in a dime sized area to clear the bolts for the front driveshaft strap at the diff. Don't know the cylinder number for that primary. I pushed it in probably 1/4" with a torch and a ball peen. Works great for me, results and opinions may vary
Old 09-01-2019, 07:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 143 Likes on 117 Posts

I had problems on my truck with whatever (stainless) headers it is that I have, hitting the front differential yoke.

Ended up making a little bracket out of strip stock to bolt to the motor near the bell housing and hold the headers ½" or so farther from the motor. Had to use 2 header gaskets at the head to make sure it didn't leak up there, from the header being bent / warped / whatever out of square with the head. NBD. Probably coulda dented the header tube but I did this instead.

I have a hard time believing that F-body stuff would clear the 4WD stuff any better than 4WD stuff designed to clear the 4WD stuff. Especially given that sometimes, not even that does what it's supposed to.
Old 09-02-2019, 06:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Ok, so as long as the mounts are in good shape they have no collector or O2 sensor bung issues, that’s good to know.

I just don’t wanna fight a set to get them in just bc I’m not spending $1k. After talking to TSP they told me they suggest using a 45* O2 sensor adaptor to get around the bung issue for their stainless LTs.
The Speed Engineering ones have the O2s come out the sides of the collector's and they don't hit anything.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:02 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1994Vmax
The Speed Engineering ones have the O2s come out the sides of the collector's and they don't hit anything.
Thats good to know. It still baffles me how some of these brands make simple mistakes like poor O2 bung placements and other easily fixed during design issues. I mean it’s not rocket science and I’d think at least there are donor trucks to test during product design. My money says almost all are done on 2wd drive trucks only during the design and then marketed for both applications just assuming any issues will not be enough to stop sales.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by arthursc2
Don't know why you'd think a set of headers built for an entirely different platform would fit better than the headers purpose built for your platform
Agreed

Well you’d also think those purpose built headers would have zero fitment issues either but we all know that’s not true unless you drop $1k+ on a set of LTs
The speed engineering ones fit excellent and are only $400 INCLUDING the Y pipe.

I have speed engineering on my truck and they fit excellent. Had a rubbing issue that I fixed by replacing the driver side engine mount. My issue was the mount broke and the engine was jumping up too high and pulling the header up against the frame rail.

On the 99-07 trucks with speed engineering headers I have seen some threads where people had fitment issues that turned out to be worn engine mounts allowing the engine to sag down. I had a 2004 Sierra that was stock and very well taken care of, but if you looked closely at the oil pan vs the crossmember it wasn't level, which means the engine was tilted a little. If that well taken care of stock truck had mounts wear and sag on it then I imagine all of those trucks could easily have that issue.

Not sure which gen truck you're doing these on, all the trucks have engine mount issues, the 07-13 style are the worst about breaking them, 99-07 sag and we're just seeing what will come with 14+. I have already broken one on my 14 truck.

So.. do new OE mounts when you do the headers if you really want to avoid fitment issues.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:04 PM
12 Second Club

It for a 2004 ECSB Z71. Yea I have been reading up on the worn mounts issue recently.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

The F body headers only fit 2WD trucks not 4WD...
Also NBS headers fit the newer NNBS trucks, except the 4WD models.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

It for a 2004 ECSB Z71. Yea I have been reading up on the worn mounts issue recently.

Personally I would go with speed engineering or texas speed. My only complaint with the speed engineering headers is the slip fit collectors fit pretty loose so it's hard to get them to seal. If you get them welded together or flanges put on it's a non issue. My speed engineering have thick flanges, fit well, and no weld splatter etc. They're really nice and have merge spikes in them also. I really don't see a reason to buy more expensive headers considering all that.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,068 Posts

^truth

Quick Reply: Ok, curiosity got me...